Martin Hardie on Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:50:20 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Linux strikes back III

Hi Ben

thanks for the note.

I think copyleft is a new way of thinking or maybe a new ay of suing old
lawand ideas  but even if you are right it is not the end of the story.

It has created a situation I think were all developers and users have a
legal or equitable interest in the goods they develop or use. Thats my
opinion. What interests me though is that OF FS is creating a form of
organisation and property "beyond property" "beyond corporations".

I think thus we should start tossing legal around ideas that match that
status - my work with Aboriginal artists in Australia has led me to
start to think of things in terms of "maintaining the integrity of the
project" which can be derived from the principles of equity and the
notion of a fiduciary relationship. A some of my colleagues here on
nettime know I have been tossing around ideas to try and draw some
parallels between the way community knowledge has been dealt with in the
Aboriginal context and its similarities with the production of community
knowledge such as OS FS.

Again to me this is just a starting point but it is one that at least
leads me to be able to legally rationalise OS FS "beyond property" and
in terms of obligations between peers that are enforceable against third
parties.

You see what I am trying to do is move or think about ways of moving the
legal language beyond property and contract at a pace somewhat closer to
the philosophical thinking or logics of the machine. I am trying to
rewrite some of this just now with the view of it being published some
time next year (in french it seems!). But I am happy to share it with
anyone who is interested in such a project in its current state on the
understanding that my views are moving as I read and write and conduct
discussions like this.

In the current state I think there are ways in which you (Mozilla/5.0
(X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007) and I  (Mozilla/5.0
(X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.4.1) Gecko/20031008) have a case
against SCO and the proprietary owners of Mozilla and Linux or the FSF
for that matter for not taking adequate steps to protect our interests
against the threats made by SCO. This situation does come about because
of the existence of the GPL - I agree - it is a new way of thinking
about things but it has also created these rights and obligations which
do not depend upon contract and maybe not even copyright.

So I think there is another way, I don't suggest yet it is perfected or
that I have flushed it out in a manner that satisfies my curiosity but
with many eyes ... what was its about the bugs going away.

Keep talking

Martin

--
"the riddle which man must solve, he can only solve in being, in
being what he is and not something else...."