David Patterson on Fri, 17 Oct 2003 18:53:32 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> New Media Education and Its Discontent

Michael H Goldhaber wrote:

> Some of the items in this thread are quite disturbing, such as the thought
> that many people are insufficiently intelligent to go to university, but
> should rather go to polytechnics or the like:

I never meant to imply that some people are inferior because they lack the
proper background to attend university. We each have valuable skills and
talents to contribute to society. The skilled mechanic, the welder, even
the trash collector are all valuable members of society. However, the
skills for each position are different from that of the independent
thinking which college is supposed to teach.

We need thinkers and leaders, but we also need trained artisans, and all
should be well compensated and satisfied in their positions. I only meant
that many people who choose college would be better served, and better
serve society, with a different type of post-secondary education.

--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies,
in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are