nettime's on/off connector on Wed, 26 Nov 2003 19:21:16 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> People offline [2x]

Table of Contents:

   <nettime> People offline
     Keith Hart <HART_KEITH@compuserve.com>

   Re:<n> People offline
     Janos Sugar <sj@c3.hu>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 06:06:23 -0500
From: Keith Hart <HART_KEITH@compuserve.com>
Subject: <nettime> People offline

Steve,

Good luck with your research. Your post reminded me that I am trying to
put together an article for a Brazilian journal on "the anthropology of
the internet".

What interests me is less the digital divide between people with and
without access to the internet, but how what we do offline influences what
we do on it. In this, I have taken some inspiration from Martin
Heidegger's book "The Fundamental Concepts of Metaphysics: World,
Finitude, Solitude". He says there that "world" is an abstract
metaphysical category for each of us (all that relates to or affects the
life of a person) and whose dialectical counterpart is "solitude", the
idea of the isolated individual. Every subject makes a world of their own.
But we do so from "finitude", the concrete specifics of time and place in
which we necessarily live. So "world" is relative both to an abstract
version of subjectivity and, more important, to our particularity in the
world (seen as a universe of time as well as space).

"The internet" is often represented as a self-sufficient entity, Each of
us lives alone (solitude) in a world largely of our own making and this
seems to be more real when we go online. But both terms are imagined as
well as being reciprocal. In fact we approach them from a relative
location in society where we actually live. The ideas of 'world' and
'individual' are equally abstract and untenable as an object of inquiry.
Therefore it cannot be satisfactory to study the social forms of the
internet independently of what people bring to it from elsewhere in their
lives. This social life of people offline is an invisible presence when
they are on it.

This is a different project, of course. I would be glad of any references
or anecdotal material that relates to this question.

Keith Hart