Miguel Afonso Caetano on Thu, 27 Nov 2003 07:13:17 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Master's thesis about tactical media

Hello, dear nettimers:

My name is Miguel Caetano and I'm a Portuguese studying for a Master of
Science in Communication, Culture and Technology at the Higher Institute of
Business and Labor Studies (ISCTE - www.iscte.pt), in Lisbon.

Until September of 2005, I got to finish writing a thesis about Tactical
Media. That's why I need your help. The main issue that I want to address is
this one: Does tactical media projects always demand the pre-existence of an
adversary, a enemy or a oponent to whom they focus all their efforts? Is this
condition necessary for their formation and survival?

This doubt has emerged in my mind after reading "The Language of Tactical
Media" by Joanne Richardson
(http://subsol.c3.hu/subsol_2/contributors2/richardsontext2.html). In this
essay, she writes: "The idea of tactical media is the harbinger of a question
both necessary and timely: how is it possible to make media otherwise, media
that expresses its solidarity with the humiliated thoughts and
incomprehensible desires of those who seem doomed to silence, media that does
not mirror the strategic power of the mainstream by lapsing into a
self-certain propaganda identical to itself and blind to its own history".

In a effort to answer this question, I shall use the example of the Metafora
Project (www.projetometafora.org), a brazilian initiative that was at this
year's edition of the Next Five Minutes Festival, represented by Felipe
Fonseca. Unfortunately, Metafora has ceased operations  October, but its
members intend that the projects thar were developed under its umbrella will
remain in action. Metafora has its roots in the philosophy of Pierre Levy and
its concepts of Collective Intelligence and of  universal without totality.
Its mode of operation was based in auto-organization, emergence, network
theory and in the hacker's ethics and culture.

I also want to answer some other questions:

- In what ways tactical media differ from the traditional alternative and
radical media? Can we label this ones as strategic, to employ the dichotomy
of Michel De Certeau?

- When we talk about tactical media, are we talking about something that only
makes sense in the 90s, or of a concept with its own history? Can we make a
relation with Hakim Bey's TAZ?

- What's the relation between social movements  and tactical media?

- Does the Internet fosters the development of tactical media practices? In
what ways?

- What's the genealogy of the concept "tactics"?

It would be very helpful  to me if you emailed me telling your opinion or
experience about these issues, specially if you are a theorist, an activist
or a tactical media practitioner. I would also like to exchange ideas and
bibliography with people that are also actually researching this area. I'm
aware of some of the manifestos published here in Nettime by Geert Lovink and
David Garcia. I have also accessed Geert's "Dark Fiber", "The Practice Of
Everyday Life" by De Certeau, "Digital Resistance" by CAE, "Future Active" by
Graham Meikle and "Cyberactivism", a collection of essays published by
Routledge.

Thank you very much,

Miguel Caetano