Heiko Recktenwald on Sun, 30 Nov 2003 05:52:24 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Fear Incorporated

Hi,

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Randall M. Packer wrote:

> Fear Incorporated
> November 24, 2004
>
> How can we win the war on terror? Isn't terror an indelible part of the
> human condition? Does anyone really think it can be eliminated?  The Bush

Maybe I shouldnt think about this from Europe, but as I just saw an
annouce with a similar headline: The question is stupid, the second and
third sentense is even more stupid. Yes, there is "terror", it is just a
medium of power, nothing more. It is not worse than atomic bombs or
tanks, air fighters, smart bombs, whatever. There is only one difference,
it is targetting civilians more than military targets. But was the
airplane, that flew into the pentagon less "terror" than the on that flew
into the skyscapper in NYC?

Well, yes, the less civil casualties, the "better" the war, but what
counts most, in the sense of the question, is what people are fighting
for. From here, I think it is unfair to speak only of the medium.
It is the message that counts, and the message is more than "terror".

H.