nettime's signalist on Fri, 19 Dec 2003 17:09:27 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Re: Wrong Signals [2x]

Table of Contents:

   The "wrong signals" debate
     "E. Miller" <subscriptionbox@squishymedia.com>

   From Baghdad: Reactions to an arrest
     Gita Hashemi <gita@ping.ca>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:06:23 -0800
Subject: The "wrong signals" debate

As an American I can't help but notice that the perspectives expressed in
this debate mirror the rival ideologies currently characterizing debate in
the US.  It's a lot easier to ignore the difficult issues in the middle
and just stick to flag-waving rhetoric (in this case, your choice of the
US flag or the Palestinian flag.)

Not to single out anyone in particular, but here are some questions I
don't see people seriously addressing, largely (in my opinion) because
some of the honest answers don't easily fit into the prefab ideological
frameworks.

For the right: how exactly was Saddam connected to terrorism?  Did those
hypothetical connections justify violating sovereignty by invading?
What's the plan from here?  Will we still support democracy if the voters
decide on theocracy?  How do you justify suddenly 'promoting democracy'
when we've spent the last century supporting repressive dictatorships in
the region? If international justice is such a big moral priority, why not
negotiate to join the ICC?  If we're so committed to eliminating terrorism
why are we almost completely ignoring Afghanistan, particularly in the
tribal regions straddling the Pakistani border?  If it weren't for oil and
Israel do you think we'd pay the Mideast any more attention than we pay to
sub-Saharan Africa, a region arguably more deserving of humanitarian
intervention? Speaking of Israel, how is our support of occupation and
repression of the Palestinans congruent with our proclaimed values?

For the left: when was the international community going to actually do
something about Hussein's murderous and repressive regime instead of just
passing unenforced UN resolutions?  How can we reconcile secular western
Enlightenment-based societal values of tolerance and inclusion with
intolerant repressive expansionist movements like Wahhabism?  Similarly,
how is theologically motivated terrorism even remotely justifiable in a
tolerant polytheistic global society?  Should western society accept
intolerant, misogynistic, repressive societies as cultural equals?

Personally, I'm of the opinion that we're never going to make progress on
these debates until we understand and agree that our current ideological
perspectives are hampering progress.  Which leads me to my most depressing
conclusion: the neocon right (Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz) does a better
job intellectually of confronting these questions, it's their ham-handed,
ideological, profiteering, imperialistic implementation that is so
repellent.

Until we agree that 20th century ideologies inadequately address the
complexity of 21st century realities we're doomed to flail around
helplessly mired in the tractionless mud of hypocrisy.

Eric