Giles Moss on Sat, 10 Jan 2004 03:04:32 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> LibreSociety Manifesto

LibreSociety.org Manifesto
David Berry & Giles Moss

A constellation of interests is now seeking to increase their ownership
and control of creativity. They tell us that they require new laws and
rights that allow them to control concepts and ideas and protect them
from exploitation. They say that this will enrich our lives, create new
products and safeguard the possibility of future prosperity. But this
is an absolute disaster for creativity, whose health depends on an
ongoing, free and open conversation between ideas from the past and the
present.

— In response, we wish to defend the idea of a creative sphere of
concepts and ideas that are free from ownership.

1.

Profit has a new object of affection. Indeed, profiteers now
shamelessly proclaim to be the true friend of creativity and the
creative. Everywhere, they declare, “We support and protect concepts
and ideas. Creativity is our business and it is safe in our hands. We
are the true friends of creativity!”

2.

Not content with declarations of friendship, the profiteers are eager
to put into practice their fondness for creativity as well. “Actions
speak louder than words” in capitalist culture. To display their
affection, profiteers use legal mechanisms, namely intellectual
property law, to watch over concepts and ideas and to protect them from
those who seek to misuse them. While we are dead to the world at night,
they are busily stockpiling intellectual property at an astonishing
rate. More and more, the creative sphere is being brought under their
exclusive control.

3.

The fact that the profiteers are now so protective of creativity, and
jealously seeking to control concepts and ideas, ought to rouse
suspicion. While they may claim to be the true friends of creativity,
we know that friendship is not the same as dependency. It is very
different to say, “I’m your true friend because I need you”, than to
say, “I need you because I’m your true friend”. But how are we to
settle this issue? How do we distinguish the true friend from the false
one? In any relationship between friends we should ask, “Are both
partners mutually benefiting?”

4.

The profiteers clearly benefit from their new friendship with the
creative, when measured by their insatiable thirst for profit. Unlike
physical objects, concepts and ideas can be shared, copied and reused
without diminishment. However many people use and interpret a
particular concept, the original creators’ use of that concept is not
surrendered or reduced. But through the use of intellectual property
law – in the form of copyright, patents and trademarks – concepts and
ideas can be transformed into commodities that are controlled and
owned. An artificial scarcity of creativity can then be established.
Much money is to be made when creative flows of knowledge and ideas
become scarce products to be traded in the market place. And,
increasingly, intellectual property law is providing profiteers with
vast accumulations of wealth. Indeed, immaterial labour (based on
information, knowledge and communication) has largely come to replace
industrial factory production as the main guarantor of wealth in the
new post-industrial age of technological capitalism. And the social
relations codified in intellectual property law, are a core element in
this wider structural transformation of the productive processes.

5.

For many of us, the thought of intellectual property law still evokes
romantic apparitions of a solitary artist or writer protecting their
creative endeavours. So it is unsurprising that we tend to view
intellectual property law as something that defends the rights and
interests of the creative. Perhaps, in some removed and distant time,
there was a modest respectability in such a notion. But this romantic
vision is now ill at ease with the emerging abuse of intellectual
works. Creators have become employees and each concept and idea they
produce is appropriated and owned by the employer. The profiteers are
using intellectual property law to amass the creative output of their
employees and others. What is more, they continually lobby to extend
the control of intellectual property law for longer and longer periods.

6.

The creative multitude is becoming legally excluded from using and
reinterpreting the concepts and ideas that they produce. In addition,
this legal exclusion is now being reinforced via technological means.
Profiteers’ use technology to enforce copyright and patent law through
the technical code that runs information and communication networks and
machines. Using digital rights management software, creative works are
locked, preventing any copying, modification and reuse. In the current
era of technological capitalism, public pathways for the free flow of
concepts and ideas and the movement of the creative are being
eradicated — the freedom to use and re-interpret creative work is being
restricted through legally based but technologically enforced
enclosures.

7.

This development is an absolute disaster for creativity, whose health
depends on an ongoing conversation and confrontation between concepts
and ideas from the past and present. It is shameful that the creative
multitude is being excluded from using concepts and ideas. Creativity
is never solely the product of a single creator or individuated genius.
As the fusion point of singularities, creativity cannot subsist in a
social nothingness. It always owes debts to the inspiration and
previous work of others, whether they are thinkers, artists,
scientists, teachers, paramours or friends. Concepts and ideas depend
upon their social life, and it could not be otherwise.

8.

An analogy can be drawn with everyday language — that is, the system of
signs, symbols, gestures and meanings used in communicative
understanding. Spoken language is shared between us. It is necessarily
non-owned and free. But imagine a devastating situation where this was
no longer the case. George Orwell’s 1984 dystopia — and the violence
done to free-thinking through ‘newspeak’ — helps to illustrate this. In
a similar way, the control and ownership of concepts and ideas is an
emerging threat to creative imagination and thought, and thus also a
grave danger to what we affectionately call our freedom and
self-expression.

9.

The creative multitude may decide either to conform or rebel. In
conforming they become creatively inert, unable to create new synergies
and ideas, mere consumers of the standardised commodities that
increasingly saturate cultural life. In rebelling, they continue to use
concepts and ideas in spite of intellectual property law. But they are
now labelled “pirates”, “property thieves” and even “terrorists”, who
are answerable as criminals to the courts of global state power. In
other words, profiteers declare a permanent state of exception or
emergency, which is then used to justify the coercive use of state
power and repression against a now criminalised culture of creativity.
As we will soon discuss, a growing number of the creative are moving
beyond rebellion, through an active resistance to the present and the
creation of an alternative creative sphere for flows of concepts and
ideas.

10.

There will be immediate objections to all we have said. The profiteers
will turn proselytizers and say, “If there is no private ownership of
creativity there will be no incentive to produce!” The idea that the
ownership of knowledge and ideas promotes creativity is a shameful one,
however plausible it may seem from the myopic perspective of the
profiteers. To say that creativity will thrive when the freedom to use
concepts and ideas is denied is clearly upside-down. After giggling a
little at this risible absurdity, we should now turn this thinking the
right way up.

11.

According to this “incentive” claim, there cannot have been any
creativity (i.e., art, music, literature, design and technology) before
the profiteer’s owned and controlled our concepts and ideas. This
sounds like pure fantasy. Historians frequently profess that creativity
was alive and well in the Renaissance period, despite this being a time
before the advent of capitalist intellectual property. But, even so, we
might concede that history weaves enough of a fiction to raise some
doubt about the previous incarnations of creativity and the creative.
The profiteer’s “incentive” claim, however, must also imply that there
cannot be any creativity currently operating outside of the
intellectual property regime. Fortunately, in this case, we are our own
historical actors and witnesses. We can begin to know what we have
always already known — creativity is not reducible to the exploitation
of intellectual property.

12.

A new global movement of networked groups that operate across a variety
of different creative media — e.g., music, art, design and software —
is now emerging. These groups produce a panoply of concepts, ideas and
art that exist outside of the current intellectual property regime. The
creative works of the Free/Libre and Open Source communities, for
instance, can all be examined, challenged, modified and improved. Here,
knowledge and ideas are shared, contested and reinterpreted among the
creative as friends. Like the symbols and signs of language, their
concepts and ideas are public and non-owned. Against the machinations
of profit, these groups are in the process of constituting a real
alternative. Of constructing a model of creative life that reflects the
force and desire of the creative multitude and which restores their
immanent relation to the works they collectively produce.

13.

Through the principles of attribution and share-alike, previous works
and ideas are given due recognition in these communities. This means
that although a work may be copied, modified and synthesised into new
works, previous creative work is valued and recognised for its
contribution to creativity as a whole. Attribution and share-alike are
constitutive principle of the Free/Libre and Open Source movements, and
chromosomes of the new mode of creative life that their practical
experimentations intimate.

14.

These movements adopt an ingenious viral device, implemented through
public licenses, known as copyleft. This ensures that concepts and
ideas are non-owned, while also guaranteeing that future synergies
based on these concepts and ideas are equally open for others to use.
In this way, copyright (all rights reserved) is stood back on its feet
by copyleft (all rights reversed). It now stands the right way up for
creativity and can once again look it in the eyes.

15.

Just as the functioning and violence of the intellectual property
regime is seeking to intensify, it is now confronted by a real
counter-power in the form of these groups. Indeed, the vision and
practice of these movements is everywhere defiantly growing in
strength. These groups offer a glimpse in formation of a creative
sphere for flows of concepts and ideas that are shared freely among
friends. These groups are acting in a way that is ‘counter to our time
and, let us hope, for the benefit of a possible time to come’
(Nietzsche 1983:60) — Creativity is creating resistance to the present.

16.

The creative multitude should everywhere embrace and defend these
groups and the untimely model of creative life that they intimate. For
it is only the creative multitude, as absolute democratic power, who
can determine whether this possible metamorphosis of our times becomes
real.

Short References

Texts:
Adorno, T. & Horkheimer, M. (1976) The Dialectic of Enlightenment
Benjamin, W. (1935) The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical
Reproduction
Deleuze, G, & Gautarri, F. (1999) What is Philosophy?
Foucault, M. (1990) The History of Sexuality, Vols 1, 2 & 3
Hardt, M. & Negri, A. (2000) Empire
Feenberg, A (1991) Critical Theory of Technology
Martin, B. (2003) Against Intellectual Property
(http://danny.oz.au/free-software/advocacy/against_IP.html)
Marx, K. (1974) The German Ideology
Nietzsche, F. (1983) Untimely Mediations
Rose, N. (1999) Powers of Freedom
Schmidt, C. (1995) The Concept of the Political
Stallman, R (2002) Free Software, Free Society

Websites:
www.libresociety.org
www.locarecords.com
www.gnu.org/

(cc) 2003 The LibreSociety.org Manifesto is made available under the
Attribution Share-alike Creative Commons License 1.0.
www.creativecommons.org