Steve Cisler on Fri, 16 Jan 2004 19:58:08 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> An ID for ID makes the whole world a mess :)

The whole complex problem of identity (as far as national governments
are concerned) reminded me of the Brazilian I met on a flight to Amman,
Jordan in October.  His parents were Palestinian (he was born in
Jerusalem), and he moved to Sao Paulo as a kid. Now he lives in another
city further south and runs an import business..  He was telling me
about the area around Ciudad de l'Este in Paraguay and how Palestinians
and others can buy official papers (not counterfeit) from the police
and then proceed across the river into Brazil where they "disappear."
It's a very porous border there.

My own experience getting a business visa for Brazil was expensive and
not very pleasant, but that's par for a lot of people trying to get
visas to my country.  Here are two amazing examples:

In Laos at the US embassy in Vientiane (on a side street where vehicles
can't get up enough speed to breach the ramparts) there was a sign at
the entrance warning relatives of Laotians (we have about 30,000 in the
San Francisco area and another 25,000 in Fresno, and many more in
Minnesota)  that they might need to pay for a DNA test when applying
for a visa. That's a huge cost for some rural villager trying to see
his brother in St. Paul. And how many places can conduct DNA in an
under developed country?

In Uganda earlier this year, a Ugandan IT expert working with USAID in
the U.S. embassy in Kampala was chosen to go for technical training in
Washington, DC.  However, the visa officer in the same embassy would
not give him a visa for the three week training! According to her, his
profile (educated, unmarried) made him a good candidate for not
returning.   Ugandans have to pay for each visa interview (about $100
or so) and then another fee for the visa.  One friend had spent $200
and failed to get a visa.  (Uganda per capita income is about $300).

Probably all these barriers are going to be even more rigid, and the
reciprocity will increase.
Steve Cisler