Michael Gurstein on Tue, 20 Jan 2004 05:30:33 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Ahh... Globalization

I had the interesting experience recently of setting up a support
call/account for a defective Dell hard-drive here in New York.

Then I travelled to Australia where I was told the account that had been
set up on the hard-drive was only in the American databases and I would
have to arrange through the American support desk to have it transferred
to the Australian support desk.  This would involve me accessing the US
help desk via the US help 800 number...a difficult thing to do from
Australia.

After realizing that my telephone card would not allow 800 numbers I got
back on the phone with the Dell Australia support desk and suggested
that they go across the room to the Dell US support desk and make the
arrangements face to face.

After a lot of too-ing and fro-ing and consulting with managers and so
on in the background, the arrangement was agreed to and the Australian
(Indian) Dell help person was empowered to talk to the US (Indian) Dell
help person and my account transfer was realized and I went away happy.

Ahh...the advantages of outsourcing and globalization!

Mike Gurstein