nettime's_arbiter_of_taste on Tue, 1 Jun 2004 06:49:20 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> linux is dead, long live linux digest [brozefsky, wouters]

Craig Brozefsky <craig@red-bean.com>
     Re: <nettime> R.I.P.: The Counterculture Aura of Linux
Paul Wouters <paul@xtdnet.nl>
     Subject: Re: fwdfyi: <nettime> R.I.P.: The Counterculture Aura of Linux]

Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 15:35:03 -0500
Subject: Re: <nettime> R.I.P.: The Counterculture Aura of Linux
From: Craig Brozefsky <craig@red-bean.com>

* Martin Hardie <z3118338@student.unsw.edu.au> [2004-05-29 14:43:28 +0200]:

> At first glance and I will have to reread it I am thinking that one
> of the great things of Linux i.e. the appearance of
> collective/communal authorship/an example of communal immaterial
> labour is with this and other moves proceeding towards a slow
> death. But then I may be wrong. I would like to be told why ....

The Free Software Foundation has had smiliar practices for over a
decade, at least:

http://www.fsf.org/licenses/why-assign.html

  "In order to make sure that all of our copyrights can meet the
   recordkeeping and other requirements of registration, and in order
   to be able to enforce the GPL most effectively, FSF requires that
   each author of code incorporated in FSF projects provide a copyright
   assignment, and, where appropriate, a disclaimer of any work-for-hire
   ownership claims by the programmer's employer. That way we can be sure
   that all the code in FSF projects is free code, whose freedom we can
   most effectively protect, and therefore on which other developers can
   completely rely."

IMO, Steve Lohr is misrepresenting the adoption of such basic legal
practices as anything to do with determining the "counterculture aura"
of Linux.

It is "countercultural" because it opposes a *temporarily* dominant
form of software production controlled by the extension of a property
model in the form of U.S. (tho not strictly) copyright and patent
legislation.  Some cultural aspects of this "property" are: a
fascination with "genius", the notion of an "author" who has legal
rights to control the propogation of their ideas, the stigma of
"plagarism", and the white mythology of the "next big thing".

The FSF position was legally, and politically more advanced than
Linux.  At the start of their project they did not envision Free
Software as not being used by governments and corporations.  They want
Free Software to be used in those environments.  Torvalds did not have
such a political vision for Linux, but it's production via the
Internet nearly guaranteed a Free Software model.

The "counterculture" which Lohr may be referring to is a
misidentification of the effects of a massive influx in youth to the
Free Software movement.  With that came anti-corporate and
anti-government ideologies, and youth pop culture as well.  A
reflexive anti-corporate ideology, such as that peddled to teens in
the U.S. for decades, will have a conflict with a Linux finally
rectifying a basic shortcoming in its management, in response to
pressure from corporate and government users.  Fortunately, young
people grow, and it would be a mistake to mistake pop culture
ideologies for the relations teens have to corporations and the
government as the imperial centers "3rd-worldize" their youth.

--
Sincerely, Craig Brozefsky <craig@red-bean.com>
Kontact -- http://www.red-bean.com/kontact/wiki.cgi