Peter Luining on Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:57:06 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Paaaaaaaaainting [next] digest [manetas]

nettime's_appraisal_committee wrote:

> From: "m" <m@manetas.com>
> Subject: Re: <nettime> [open letter to Yukiko Shikata] and the Google painting
> Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 19:19:27 +0300
>
> Well, we all know that Valery is the one who started the new fashion of
> painting the websites.

I think it's better to say that we (= small group of insiders) all know
that Valery Grancher was the first who came up with the idea to paint
webpages. But I also think that painting whatever is displayed on a
computerscreen is an idea that is just in the air and therefore other
artists can "invent" it without knowing that it's done before. That said
I think Exenemo's work "Natural Process" shows much more resemblance to
Ola Pehrson's piece "desktop" (from 99) than Valery's work, because
Exonemo's work is about the representation of a work that is again
presented through a webcam.
http://www.olapehrson.com/desktop/index.html

> Pitty they got only 5K for their huge and pretty picture...

Agree, but also I think you can see (correct me if I understood it wrong
here) it as a pity that Google Inc. only bought just a part of the whole
work (the painting) and not the whole installation (Natural Process)
including the webcam part.

Peter