David Mandl on Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:44:52 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The Art of Sweatshops

Joy <joy@sarai.net> wrote:

> *Some US firms prefer cons to Indians*
>
> USA Today
> Ontario, July 8
> [http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/5922_873417,0015002200000000.htm]
>
> But the convicted workforce elicits as much dread as
> interest. Companies flinch at the prospect of a public-relations
> backlash should news leak out that they employ hardened criminals.

LOL!  I was naive enough to believe, after reading the beginning of that
sentence, that it would end with something like, "should news leak out
that they employ sub-sub-sub-minimum-wage slave-labor in prisons to do
work that people should be getting real salaries and benefits for."
Honestly.  But, damn, it probably would be the "hardened criminal" aspect
that would get my fellow Americans all riled up.  What a country.

    --Dave.

--
Dave Mandl
dmandl@panix.com