Francis Hwang on Sun, 3 Oct 2004 23:10:16 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> epistemological crisis for US tail-chasing politics

Coming in the future is the fact that with VOIP, you're allowed to have
a phone number with any area code anywhere ... so you're getting
situations where people living in Tokyo have NYC area codes, which when
it gets bigger is going to foobar phone polling like nobody's business.

On Oct 2, 2004, at 11:08 AM, t byfield wrote:
> Uninvited/impersonal calls to mobile phones remains, amazingly, a big
> no-no in the US.

I wonder if this taboo is eroding. In the last few months I've received
two telemarketing calls -- from a bot, no less -- from Earthlink at my
cell phone which has a very unambiguously cell-only area code.

Francis Hwang
http://fhwang.net/
AIM: francisrhizome