andy on Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:20:34 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Working on article about the need for a

i bet that the difference between needing a progress media and producing
an effective media is a more relevant inquiry.  there is a diverse radical
press you can find in most book stores and most certainly online, if a
person was motivated to find it.  in my opinion business week is the most
successful radical rag on the market, but not in a good way.  but it is
far more influential than the progress press, particularly due to the
audience and culture it addresses.  so my question is who is the
progressive press addressing- voters, the "oppressed," workers, or
intellectuals?  if i could offer a critique of The Nation and similar
magazines, they 1) do not make people angry, 2) do not provide a summary
of actions for solutions.  it is supposed in these media that the answer
to bringing "progress" is with the ballot.  and granted, if by progressive
media you mean simply educating the voting publicity, your relevance to
building a progressive movement ( or inferior goal of progressive
government) by itself is unlikely.

with at least the marxist press (criticism can certainly be given to the
anarchist press for lack of any direction and program for action, and will
be ignored here). a program of systematic heightening of social
antagonisms is the basis of the marxist press in just about every flavor.

my personal opinion is that its more important to improve the capabilities
of existing networks like indy media and reporters without borders rather
than making a greater quantity of traditional media outlets.  blogging
will do the rest 8)

andy