onto on Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:17:55 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> The Politics of Being Clandestine

Hello,

I'm new here. I'm a dj at radioActive radio San Diego. I'm not sure if
this appropriate material for the list, but I'll try. Here's an essay
about the recent actions that happened in San Diego, CA on January 20th.
Please critique, edit, post, dismiss, etc. I would love feedback. thanks.

          cheers,
             onto

             The Politics of Being Clandestine: RTS J20 SD
       http://sandiego.indymedia.org/en/2005/01/107453.shtml
       http://sandiego.indymedia.org/en/2005/01/107473.shtml

The Clandestine Insurgent Rebel Clown Army - Border Faction (CIRCA-BF)
consists of 33 rotating members who come from different affinity groups,
collectives, and disOrganizations. We are all locals; we are all
multinationals. We are a network of bodies without organs. We are in your
group, your class, your family, your television, your neighborhood. You
don't see us, but that is exactly our strength: our invisibility.

The Aestheticization of Politics

To not exist is our goal. Until then, we will joyously work hard to
construct the conditions that allow for moments of autonomy and
spontaneity to occur. Unpredictability, Spontaneity, Risk -- these element
s are being systematically eliminated from the practice of everyday life.
We (dis)organized a Reclaim the Streets on January 20th in symbolic
solidarity with the counter-inauguration protests in DC in order to
retrieve the self-empowering aforementioned characteristics and import
them back into the practice of everyday life. We believe that creative,
nonviolent direct action is the appropriate methodology for achieving
these ends.

One does not need to read Foucault to note the formal similarities between
prisons and schools, both temporally and spatially. The paths we think we
freely move on, the words we think we freely speak, the media we think
freely report and even the concepts we think we freely conceive are all
heavily determined by inherited institutional, linguistic, and economic
norms of power.

For example, from one side, Reclaim the Streets was a successful action
for the throngs of protesters and people who won the streets, broke
innumerable laws, and gathered peacefully to dance, sing, chant, and
share. From the other side, Reclaim the Streets was a success for the
police who surrounded the route, contained the crowd at most of the times,
protected property and allowed for the purely aesthetic manifestation of a
political will to occur. In other words, the politics of Reclaim the
Streets, like all politics today, can also be interpreted as purely
aesthetic: self-expression under the guise of change. The aestheticization
of politics is logical result of Fascism, as Walter Benjamin writes:

Fascism attempts to organize the masses without affecting the property
structure . . . Fascism sees its salvation in giving these masses not
their right, but instead a chance to express themselves. The masses have a
right to change property relations; Fascism seeks to give them an
expression while preserving property. The logical result of Fascism is the
introduction of aesthetics into political life [via] an apparatus which is
pressed into the production of ritual values.

What does it mean to live in a country where expression is more important
than change, where simulacra are more important than reality, where the
possibility of political theatre is warmly received by all, but the
reality of political resistance is dismissed as fantasy?

The First Question of Political Philosophy

But why do we adhere so closely to the regulative norms of power,
language, and capital? In Empire, Hardt and Negri write:

A long tradition of political scientists has said the problem is not why
people rebel but why they do not. Or rather, as Deleuze and Guattari say,
"the fundamental problem of political philosophy is still precisely the
one that Spinoza saw so clearly (and that Wilhelm Reich rediscovered):
'Why do men fight for their servitude as stubbornly as though it were
their salvation?' The first question of political philosophy today is not
if or even why there will be resistance and rebellion, but rather how to
determine the enemy against which to rebel. Indeed, often the inability to
identify the enemy is what leads the will to resistance around in such
paradoxical circles. The identification of the enemy, however, is no small
task given that exploitation tends no longer to have a specific place and
that we are immersed in a system of power so deep and complex that we can
no longer determine specific difference or measure. We suffer
exploitation, alienation, and command as enemies, but we do not know where
to locate the production of oppression. And yet we still resist and
struggle .

The Clandestine Insurgent Rebel Clown Army - Border Faction is a movement
of bodies not identical to themselves which seeks to identify those
localities of repressive power in order to put pressure on them until
temporary autonomous zones can erupt with joy. When we search for the
enemy, we don't look outside. We look for the structures of power that we
have internalized, repressing autonomy, wills of resistance, and radical
freedom. We do not dismiss power altogether; power produces as many
subjects, imaginations, loves, and freedoms as it represses. We reject,
ambivalently, the representation of others and ourselves through the
manipulation of language, images, and ideas that certain forms of power
mandate. If the signs we use to communicate and structure our everyday
life are organized to produce commercial output at the expense of human
contact, then we are enslaved to a language that will never allow for
radical thought to articulate itself.

Anarchist Architects

As just one faction of the global network of Clandestine Insurgent Rebel
Clown Armies, we decided that a Reclaim the Streets action--a tactic used
in Britain, France, Germany, Australia, New York, San Francisco,
Washington D.C.--would be effective not in actually changing any political
structures, but in collecting bodies that contain the will to resist and
allowing them to freely associate. San Diego does not need a political
party to organize resistance to the status quo. The concept of the
=93political party=94 is itself status quo. What it needed was a
coming-out party. What it needed, was a street party.

We are nothing more than anarchist architects, guerilla event planners an
d stage crews. We built a stage, minimally, for the possibility of a
non-dogmatic politics to emerge. We do not take the credit for Reclaim th
e Streets. The people of San Diego made it possible. We were the actors,
dancers, cyclists, jugglers, photographers, students, musicians, soldiers
, workers, doctors, lawyers, mothers, and lovers; we were the invisible
hosts who prepared the scenery, made the dinner, decorated the house, sen
t out the invitation, and played the music. We were simultaneously,
indistinguishably guests and hosts. In other words, the distinction
between host and guest is completely illusory. The party had no center, n
o leader, no limit. It was as flexible as capital and fluid as
information. Many loci emerged, minor circles of activity, organization,
creativity, and autonomy. There were no hosts or guests, there was only
carnival. The only distinction that remained was between the authority of
the cops and the humanity of the people.

What didn't take place on J20

As hundreds of people were penned in at 4th and Market, a tactical
Furniture subFaction of our Border Faction was busy preparing 5th and
Market for the Party. This was our destination; this was our goal. Many
people did not know that a Reclaim the Streets party is intended to reach
an intersection, block it, occupy it, and party there until the blockade
can be moved. In London, cars crash into each other, blocking entrances to
highways so that the people can party until the sun goes down. In Germany,
people rise on 20ft. tall tripods in the center of intersections,
dangerously placing themselves in harms way so that the people can party
around them.

The tactical March subFaction was trying to split the people into multiple
marches in order to approach the final destination from multiple sides.
Unfortunately, the police were scared enough to block off every cross
street from 4th Ave, not allowing any rapid splits or detours to occur.
The heart of the Gaslamp, the arteries of capital in downtown San Diego,
must be protected, they thought. Protected from what? The possibility of
people nonviolently controlling their own corporeal paths of movement; the
possibility of multitudes not submitting to the laws of force and capital.

Were we overzealous in trying to occupy 5th and Market? We don=92t think
so. As the aesthetic and geographical center of commerce in San Diego, we
were prepared to temporarily blockade the roads so that a festive party
could emerge in the middle. The tactical Furniture subFaction placed two
couches in the intersection, hung a 20 ft long banner between two street
lights that read "RECLAIM THE STREETS", dropped beach balls and streamers,
and ran away, expecting the crowd to arrive any second. The police,
however, blocked off the multitudinous protesters at 4th Ave., containing
the CIRCA-BF teams inside, along with/as the plethora of individuals,
collectives, and organizations.

The couches were moved, the banner was cut, and the people were just one
block away. If the march had a couple hundred more people, it would have
been strong enough to break through the police blockade, declared 5th and
Market occupied, and had the Reclaim the Streets party right there. We di
d not have that luxury. However, the spontaneous and creative protesters
outmaneuvered the police and eventually did make it to the crosswalk at
5th and Market. Our party was contained between 4th and 5th instead of at
the intersection at 5th and Market, but we were ecstatic. We made it. The
streets were ours. All of our plans changed, and yet, that was the bigges
t success of all: organizing an event that allowed, in fact, required
spontaneous movement, multivalent politics, and creative aesthetics.
Reclaim the Streets is a border zone; it straddles preparation and
receptivity, order and chaos, movement and stability, joy and fear.

Who is CIRCA-BF?

Anyone who makes art until there noses bleed with fumes of passion, anyone
who wheatpastes until they reek of moldy yeast, anyone who graphic designs
until their hypertexts are overflowing with biopolitics, anyone who drives
an hour to stay up late to paint masks and falls asleep on the couch,
anyone who has to negotiate a school schedule, a job, a loved one, a
family, anyone whose dreams are infected with the taste of anticipation,
anyone who not only is willing to learn but to teach, anyone who goes to
bed a liberal and wakes up an anarchist, anyone who goes to their first
direct action training and then proceeds to organize one, anyone whose
bellies are on fire with fear, love, and courage, anyone who drinks more
coffee than water, eats more pizza than vegetables, anyone who decides to
become a guerilla audio engineer, anyone who emails so much that it
congests cyberspace with virtual invitations to a party in San Diego,
anyone who brings their unsuspecting friends to street party and maybe
just maybe converts them into revolutionaries, anyone who papers maches
like its 2nd grade all over again, anyone who attends meetings and makes
consensus as if they were making babies, anyone who gives up a night on
the town for a night at an art party, anyone who doesn't just hope for
temporary autonomous zones within everyday life but makes them happen,
anyone who brings chips, beer, paint, salsa, tape, screws, dogs, wires,
and all those minute applications of life that are essential to
productivity, anyone who can't sleep at night because that indefinite
moment that will erupt like a volcano of joy has dominated their waking
life, anyone who dances to the beats of DJ Q-bert, sings along with
against me!, and makes their own music too, anyone who is scared,
depressed, and overly committed yet still unable to let go of a project
like this, anyone who remembers to cover their the media, legal, and
aesthetic bases, anyone who is willing to go to jail for the political
cause of dancing, anyone whose soul is stitched to their body with the
flesh of resistance, anyone who thinks absurdity is just as meaningful as
clarity, anyone who believes that events should be constructed not
spectated, anyone who believes our philosophic ancestors the Situationist
s when they said with their graffiti "Be Realistic. Demand the
Impossible."

We do not speak for ourselves or others. This is a text with no uniform
structure of meaning, but rather, a playground for readers to enjoy
meaning actively within.

CIRCA-BF homepage: http://www.elsewhere.org/cgi-bin/postmodern/

Notes: 1. Benjamin, Walter "The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical
Reproduction: Epilogue."

2. Hardt and Negri, "Empire" Chapter 2.6: Imperial Sovereignty