agent humble on Sat, 5 Feb 2005 12:41:28 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> release of CUWiN - free wireless networking software

Imagine a free wireless networking system that any municipality, company,
or group of neighbors could easily set up themselves.  Over the past
half-decade, the Champaign-Urbana Community Wireless Network (CUWiN) has
been developing an open source, turnkey wireless networking solution that
exceeds the functionality of many proprietary systems. CUWiN's vision is
ubiquitous, extremely high-speed, low-cost networking for every community
and constituency. Following in the footsteps of Linux and Firefox, CUWiN
has focused on creating a low-cost, non-proprietary, user-friendly system.
CUWiN's software will share connectivity across the network, allowing
users to buy bandwidth in bulk and benefit from the cost savings.  CUWiN
networks are self-configuring and self-healing -- so adding new wireless
nodes is hassle-free, and the system automatically adapts to the loss of
an existing node.  And, because CUWiN networks are completely ad-hoc,
there's no need for expensive central servers or specialized
administration equipment.

To set up a network, all end-users need to do is burn a CD with CUWiN's
software (which will be available for free at http://www.cuwireless.net),
put the CD into an old desktop computer equipped with a supported wireless
card, and turn the computer on.  Once the computer boots from the CD, the
rest of the setup is completely automated: from loading the networking
operating system and software, sending out beacons to nearby nodes,
negotiating network connectivity, and assimilating into the network -- all
the complicated technical setup is taken care of automatically.  Unlike
most broadband systems, CUWiN's software builds a local intranet as well
as providing for Internet-connectivity -- thus, a town that uses CUWiN's
system is also creating a community-wide local area network over which
streaming audio and video, voice services, etc. can all be sent.

CUWiN is a cutting edge research and development initiative.  CUWiN has
pioneered the first open source implementation of Hazy Sighted Link State
routing protocol (first developed by BBN Technologies); thus CUWiN's
software creates a highly robust, scalable ad-hoc wireless networks.
CUWiN's route prioritization metric is based on research conducted at MIT
and will automatically adapt to any network topology and local geography.

CUWiN's software is, and always will be, available for free.  CUWiN is a
non-profit organization supported by grants and donations.  CUWiN's
software provides one of the world's most advanced networking solutions
available today; and we are now making our software available to the
general public to use, test, and help develop.  We know that there are
features and improvements that people will want to see in future releases
-- as an open source project, we are counting on the feedback and input
from people around the globe.

More information on setting up your own CUWiN network is available online
now at: http://www.cuwireless.net/documentation

The latest version (0.5.5) of the CUWiN software will be available for
public download by the end of the week at:
http://www.cuwireless.net/downloads

A brief article on the background, history, and ethos of the CUWiN project
is available at: www.comtechreview.org/article.php?article_id=259

***

About CUWiN:

The Champaign-Urbana Community Wireless Network (CUWiN) has built a
communications system using wireless networking equipment. This is
essentially the same "WiFi" equipment used in homes and offices, but we
put it on rooftops to connect neighbors and form a high-speed community
network.

CUWiN's three-part mission is to:  connect more people to Internet and
broadband services; develop open-source hardware and software for use by
wireless projects world-wide; and, build and support community-owned,
not-for-profit broadband networks in cities and towns around the globe.

CUWiN gives communities a new choice for their communications
infrastructure by building a house-to-house wireless "mesh." CUWiN makes
it possible for neighbors to share broadband Internet access and services
including Voice over IP as an alternative to traditional phone service,
and alternatives to radio and cable -- such as live broadcasts from
grassroots media-makers from Independent Media Centers and "Internet radio
stations" in subscribers' homes.

OJC Technologies (http://www.ojctech.com) is our development home.

PRESS CONTACT:

Sascha Meinrath
(217)278-3933
sascha@cuwireless.net
CUWiN Website: http://www.cuwireless.net

--

"My ankle hurts from dancing last night, so there is pain, but the pain
doesn't hurt me, for there is no me." ~~ Ken Wilbur, One Taste