tliacas on Mon, 7 Feb 2005 18:43:17 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Where's the real debate on fair use, copyright, piracy?

Hi,

I'm working on a project which deals with the issue of intellectual
property, file sharing and debates around all of the above.. Would like to
hear your opinions.

Here's the thing-

I'm personally in favour of the free distribution of more and more
information to more and more people but I wonder if the speed at which our
culture is moving will not erode the current ecology built around
information. By this I mean the existing system in which creators of
quality works are motivated to some degree by the compensation they will
receive for time spent researching and creating and where the industries
which profit from the distribution of these creations are also the
providers of this compensation. If this system collapses, is there an
interim vision that would ensure the creation of quality content other
than "everyone's a creator"?

My scan of the current "debate"- if you can call it that- reveals a rigid
polarization.. industry reps and lawyers playing a knuckle-rapping role
and lefties (myself included) trumpeting the new dawn of free information
for all.

But what of the middle ground? What do we do in between the present (where
we all enjoy content which has market value) and this envisioned utopia
(where content will presumably be produced and distributed outside the
market).

Is this a public debate (or Dialogue) that we should be having? If so, why
does it not seem to exist anywhere?

Tom Liacas.