Josephine Bosma on Wed, 9 Feb 2005 10:47:13 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> IT's foot soldier: Jaromil

Some of you might find the following interesting.

Read the full story at:

http://www.hinduonnet.com/mp/2005/02/08/stories/2005020800950400.htm

But the big question remains. Can free software offer
Indian programmers the same kind of pay that global
companies are now able to offer? "Yes. Probably not a lot
of money, but sufficient. But most important thing is that
the money stays in the community. You build software that
serves your needs and you fix the problems yourself. Local
people solve local problems. Indian engineers are immensely
talented. Instead of contributing to some corporation in
North America, they can contribute to their local needs,"
[Jaromil] says.

And as a final note of caution, he adds: "We need to be
careful because people are playing nasty tricks on free
programmers. We are even being infiltrated by people
sponsored by the (global) companies. But whatever free
software is the future."
<

*