nettime's_roboconnoisseur on Sat, 19 Feb 2005 00:26:00 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> introducing meta-daria, an autonomous discourse [green, yung, green]

Re: <nettime> Introducing Daria: An autonomous software artist
     Vanalyne Green <v.carrollgreen@gmail.com>
     brian lee dae yung <brian@muxspace.com>
     Vanalyne Green <v.carrollgreen@gmail.com>

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:24:21 +0000
From: Vanalyne Green <v.carrollgreen@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Introducing Daria: An autonomous software artist

Jumping into the fray

The old formula:  how you know when you're looking at art:  there's a
nude woman's body.  And how do you know it's good:  It's done by a
white man.

I was surprised that you labelled the content 'art,' which I consider
to have some  redefining or transformative or philosophical or
political or ethical reach, when what I saw was recycled men's
magazine's stuff layered over with an arty (decorative) look and some
poetic-y text.  In  a way, I don't blame you - that's the weight of
art history being performed.  But I'm of the school that those days
are over.  John Berger's famous book 'Ways of Seeing' tackles this
subject very well.

Re gendering equipment female:  If often works in reverse but that
gender dichotomy doesn't make it any easier for women either.
-- V. Green

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:10:05 -0600, brian lee dae yung
<brian@muxspace.com> wrote:

> Dan:
>
> Can you clarify whether you consider the labeling of Daria as an
> artist to be part of her anthropomorphism or not? From the below
> comment, I take it that the artist label is not a part of the
> anthropomorphism:
>
> > If the question that concerns you primarily is "can autonomous
 <...>