Benjamin Geer on Thu, 3 Mar 2005 05:29:43 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> double-plus-unfree digest [byfield, elloi]

Morlock Elloi <morlockelloi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In media content this likeliness of monetizing is much lower.

You have to use your imagination.  Film viewers don't need support
contracts, but they might like to have more of a say in the sorts of
films that get produced, and they might be willing to pay for that.  I
certainly would.

> 'Value' of the content for the masses *is* created mostly by
> publishing labels.

This is a symptom of the problem I was pointing out.  Alienation can't
be overcome by media alone, because it's inherent in the way people
live.  Slaves who watch great free films are still slaves.  But slaves
who are creating the economic and political conditions for their own
emancipation can certainly make free films to help that effort along,
and will have no need whatsoever to parody the filmmaking of their
former masters.

Ben