Jonathan Lukens on Tue, 15 Mar 2005 01:44:02 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Re: nettime-l-digest V1 #1560

> Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 06:48:07 +0200
> From: z3118338@student.unsw.edu.au
> Subject: Re: <nettime> Pay 5 cents for a song
>
> Give em enough rope .....
>
> why not just have it all on the server for free and increase the tax
> or broaden its base to say include cd's land usb sticks for example
> like the old (failed for constitutional reasons and bad drafting)
> blank tape royalty in Australia?

Look. That is never going to work. I mean- right now you can download
all of my music for free and no one does it. Upping the price to 5
cents would mean that less zero people download my music. I would
consider paying people 5 cents a download, but I'm not familiar enough
with the legalese to draft a EULA like that for my site... I mean- if
all the sudden it costs me more than five dollars what the hell am I
going to do? I need to be able to pay people 5 cents until it costs me
50 cents, and then only pay them 3 cents until it costs me a dollar,
and so on.... That's complicated. Isn't something Bruce Sterling wrote
about 10 years ago supposed to do that for free? WTF? I'm dying over
here. Can I get some external validation through my web stats? Jesus.
I'm middle aged and stagflation and all that! Bushwick Bill has more
reputation crapital than I do, and I used to be in a band with that guy
who was in the band with that other guy! PLEASE! I'm up for adoption.
Employment! Anything! I will even wear khaki pants! Please? I remember
the internet? Do you? That was awesome! And money! and Throbbing
Gristle and the MIT Press Logo looks kinda like the Black Flag bars and
I don't give a fuck about either no more. This guy I know- he had to
get this credit card that had no interest for six months so that he
could pay off this other credit card- I didn't have to do that...
mostly cos I don't really buy anything- I just sell my old stuff on
eBay, But that's pretty cool, cos then I can feel superior to that guy.
Someday, maybe I will have a lot of money- And then I will have the
least downloads for the most money, or the most money for the most
downloads, or something like that, where people will respect how I play
off the fact that my music is unpopular with people who like music
about its unpopularity on the internet with occasional geographic
references and erudition or however you spell it. That will be awesome.
And then I can visit Australia and all the conferences where people
talk about stuff. That will be cool. But until then, I will probably
just get flamed, and change the cat litter once a week, and do the
dishes. And I do all of that for free, but if I was like Bono or Sting
or something, I would charge my cats at least 30 cents, because I
could. And they would totally pay it and be all like "it's only thirty
cents and I don't have opposable thumbs anyway."