Armin Medosch on Thu, 19 May 2005 14:54:21 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Landscape Painting of the Information Age

[This is another contribution to the Open Nature catalogue. I think it
may also vaguely  relate to the Ghost in the Network thread. cheers,
armin]

Landscape Painting of the Information Age
or Romanticism In Media Art
Armin Medosch

In England, France and Germany during the age of
rapid industrialisation a new direction in art
emerged, romanticism. While the first modern
factories were built the children of the middle
class played out Arcadian fantasmagories dressing
up as shepherds and shepherdesses in an idealized
Greece.1 By playing those Arcadian games they did
not only imitate and mock the aristocracy, they
also asserted themselves as the rising new class.
Angry young men stomped through the Swiss and
German mountain forests writing revolutionary
poems and plays2. It was a time of great social
upheaval. Working classes were formed by driving
peasants off common land. Owning neither land nor
capital, the only way of making a living for the
rural poor was moving to the cities and selling
their labour to capitalist factory owners.3 Over
the  very same period of time landscape painting
was 'discovered' as an art form. A 'naturalistic'
approach to landscape painting had never before
played a big role in European art. At the very
time when the countryside vanished behind the
smoking chimneys of the Industrial Revolution art
reconstructed  Nature as a mirror for the
aspirations of the noble mind.

As the schizophrenia of modernity settled in,
nature became a very fertile ground for the
imagination. Romanticism emerged from the
contradiction of  trying to be one with nature
and feeling to be fundamentally separated from
it. Nature was being objectified by the making-
doing of the industrial revolution and its loss
at the same time mourned in the arts. The search
for nature contained also a political question.
When the romantic youth contemplated nature, they
could see, in the shape of the mountain ridges,
in this frozen moment of time, the powerful
forces at work that were reshaping the world. In
romanticism wild nature symbolized the political
changes of the time. Could nature give an answer
to ethical questions, could there be a 'natural'
form of government, was then the theme of many
debates? Rosseau constructed a noble savage,
externalizing the European confusion, as a type
of human more in tune with nature than the
urbanized citizens of France. As a psychological
entity, the noble savage is very much in effect
still today, having gone through all the cliches
of Hollywoodization and advertisement treatment.

European intellectuals turned away -- in a move
they will repeat again and again -- from the
city. The dirty and overpopulated cities were
conceived as the seat of all evil. This is where
political struggles and revolutions were fought,
where the police state was enforced, where new
diseases were bread and could spread rapidly
because of the proximity of people living so
closely together. The city was the place of new
forms of social coercion, of alienation, of being
repressed. Only in contact with nature, suitably
refashioned and aestheticized,  the citizens of
the 19th century could get in contact with the
true, the divine self. Romantic landscape
painting created nature as a window to the self,
a subjectivity that is transcended by opening
itself up to nature.

Nature and society, the city and the countryside
were at odds with each other. The English
Enlightenment produced a compromise solution. On
the relatively small and relatively overpopulated
part of the British Isles that is England
'natural' countryside had almost ceased to exist.
The English park was invented, a nature that is
better than nature, an idealistic version of it,
combed and groomed to look natural in a desired
way. Nature survives as an artefact, a theme park
of itself, which reflects the taste of rich
landowners.

Romanticism has never really left the arts, even
if it, as an official  movement, petered out
somewhere at the end of the 19th century. But the
basic attitude of the romantic hero -- her or his
fundamental opposition to bourgoise society,
which they were also so deeply part of --
survived, and so did the trope of 'wild nature'
as a mirror of psychological and socio-political
conflict. The romantic hero is a tragic hero
because he or she has not understood the
contradictions of the society s/he is part of. A
repressive social situation will always trigger
escapist fantasies. Rejection of society as it is
and idealistic protest either leads to death,
which salvages the hero status, retreat into
Arcadia = the hippie commune or the third way
solution of getting a post in academia. There
were very few traditions in the contemporary art
of the last 100 years which were not romanticist
or did not have a romantic streak, namely those,
which were explicitely revolutionary and
analytical. The romantic hero survived in the art
system as the artist-genius driven by individual
creativity and having access to knowledge which
is exclusively their own.

In media and net art survives a romanticism noir
inspired by the Mary Shelley tradition of sci-fi
goth literary fiction. From there via the noble
savage of the pulp fiction Western novel it is a
short jump to cyberpunk and the hackers with
Mohican haircut. Since the 1990s the noble savage
has a keyboard. The aesthetic paradigm of
cyberpunk fiction is circumscribed by the
dystopian city, Chiba City in Gibson's
Neuromancer, or the Blade Runner City. The
dystopian aspects of the cyberpunk city
illustrate the failure of the technological
society.

Data Mining

Media and net art increasingly turn to
aesthetization of information flows via
sonification and visualization. Thereby they
encounter the unresolved contradictions of
capitalist technosocieties. Science fashioned
nature as its object and learned to study it ever
more closely. Properties of electromagnetic waves
are used for sophisticated communications
systems; space probes are being sent out, the
Hubble telescope scans the depth of the universe,
the particle accelerator gives us insight into
the smallest particles that make up matter. While
we are learning more in the depth of the detail
about outer space and the micro-organisation of
matter, science encroaches on the inner core of
nature. Will its very object vanish behind all
the numbers and formulas once everything is
satisfyingly explained? Or is there a part of
nature that withdraws itself from us?

The scientific instruments of our time have
opened rich pipelines into the data sources of
nature. With the constructivist instruments of
mathematics and engineering the datanauts are
diving into oceans of information that represent
the physical materiality of the world
(oceanography, climate change research, GIS).
Now, nature is becoming quantized and quantified,
it is being dematerialized and turned into
information. The ideology of the information age
fetishizes information as a sort of 'divine'
substance. Analogies are constructed between the
brain as a computer and life as a code - the
genetic code. Everything is information in the
beginning and is turned into information again at
the end of its life cycle. As artists are getting
hold of the techniques of information processing,
landscape painting of the information age emerges
as a major theme in the early 21st century.4 It
shows us nature distilled into information
'flows'.

Artists reinterprete nature along the lines of
the noir thread in romaticism. Networked urban
culture is experienced as a second nature. The
social relationships in networks become the raw
material. Network scientists are looking for
biological patterns in the information flows
produced by networked communities.5 We are
craving for natural explanations in the mess of
the social to absolve us.6 New deterministic
answers discovered in those networks would let us
off the hook and avoid politically unpleasant
questions. Can pure data7 be the source that
stills our thirst for the natural, the divine,
the transcendent? Can we use those data flows to
enter into a dialogue with nature again?

Back to the Bios?

In a discussion of Herbert Marcuse's view on
technology and science, Jürgen Habermas asks what
we could expect from a nature opening its eyes.
What he means is that science has dealt with
nature as an object. Is it possible to develop a
fundamentally different type of science and
technology? Would it be possible to have an open
dialogue with a nature which is not an object
anymore but a lively animated subject? How to
start this dialogue without repeating past
mistakes? Or, to ask the question in a modern
way, what is the interface? Scolars of science
studies tell us that our dialogues with nature
are obstructed by age-old dichotomies which
burdon our thinking, such as the dichotomy
between nature and society, between subject and
object. What would it mean to move beyond those
dichotomies? Wouldn't that open the doors for a
sweeping relativism? Of course nature and society
are not completely seperate entities which are in
binary opposition to each other -- the standard
definition of dichotomy. By putting nature to
work in the shape of technology, societies have
long become technosocieties, societies in which
the technical - the controlled transformation of
the forces of nature  - and the social are linked
to each other in many ways so that they evolve
together, mutually influencing each other (in
which ways exactly, in a causal or linear way,
for example, would be a point of further
reflection). If we try to understand the co-
evolution of the techno-social would it help to
introduce, just for a moment, the metaphor of the
BIOS? In computer systems the BIOS is the
computer interface code that gives access to
hardware on a low level. Would it be possible to
have something like a Bios of the information
society, an interface between the hardware and
software of reality? Could we construct such an
interface where the biological is integrated with
the BIOS and where the concepts of the technical
and the political mesh?

Art has traditionally had a very good way of
opening itself up to nature. This way was called
'contemplation'. To contemplate means more than
just to reflect on something intellectually. It
means to look and think at the same time which
goes often hand in hand with the experience of
feeling calm and balanced and a heightened
expectation at the same time. All the senses are
razor-sharp while the mind is racing. In
contemplation we can find ourselves being part of
and standing out of nature. The dichotomy, which
maybe will never be solved theoretically, is
transcended temporarily in the mind. The
oppositions of the dichotomy may turn out to be
the wheels of a dialectical history. In a best
case scenario media art can come to some
understanding of those axial connections between
society and nature through its actual practice.
Out of contemplation of the forces driving
history and society,  media artists can move into
action by building working technological
assemblages. I am using this slightly odd phrase
to emphasise the systemic aspects of this type of
art-work. A working technological assemblage
might well have a picture as an end-result, but
what makes it really interesting are the inputs
and outputs and the processes that happen in
between. If we look behind the picture, we find
the process. There is modeled a complete world-
view, an image of the world and its working. This
image, which is of course not a realistic
'picture' but a constellation of forces, of
energies and motives, is constructed as a montage
of information flows. Work of this type becomes
applied critical theory. It exposes the
underbelly of the romanticist beast; it looks
into Godzilla's stomach and counts the cars; it
shows us the bios of the information society, the
bios-political.

This is the chance and responsibility of media
art. Too often media art just sails in the slip
stream of the consumer electronics and IT
industry, providing excuses for commodity
fetishism, guiltily snacking on the fruits of
technological determinism. Could media art rid
itself of the image of the romantic hero, single
handedly fighting the evils of expansionary
technocapitalism? Can media art, as a 'science of
the imagination'8, employ contemplation and
critique to overcome the repressive current
social order? The information flows that are
increasingly governing our lives on many levels
are understood only by a minority of people. The
artists can tap into the dataflows and make
connections which would be 'illegitimate' for
scientists. They have the ability of rendering
visible how the mutant cyber-society emerges. The
data artist is providing a mirror to society by
giving data eyes and ears. At least in theory,
meaningful representation of data leads to
meaningful participation of the individual. But
what does meaningful mean? Artists dealing with
information flows have the not so trivial task of
establishing the ontological status of the data
objects. To which extent are we dealing with
numerical fetishes, with fact or fiction (or
factishes, Latour9 would want us to say)? What
are the sources of information and which
transformations have they gone through?

The artist's work can only be done properly, if
there exists open access to the data. As the
privatization of knowledge, the expansionary
tendency of intellectual property progresses, the
free-libre open source software (Floss) movement
keeps pushing the boundaries and provides artists
with the tools to host their own data landscapes
to play with. The liberating potential of the
access provided by Floss developers cannot be
underestimated. At the same time this networked
ecology is always under threat of collapsing for
a number of reasons. There is not only the
pressure of the market and the coca-
colonialisation of the net, there are also the
internal contradictions, for example, between the
expectations that techno-utopianism creates and
the reality in which our cyber-romantic heroes
find themselves.

The digital Arcadia today presents itself either
in its same old post-cyberpunk clothes or in a
slightly more glamourized candy pop version.
Which possibilities are there, besides nihilsm
and consumerism, for the data gardeners of the
near future? Taking information flows and
materializing again what had become
dematerialized, the landscape painting of the
information age feeds data back to where it has
taken them. Landscape painting is of course only
a metaphor, and a slightly misleading one too.
The landscape is not static, it contains the
whole loop, the circulation of data from one
ontological status (matter/data) into the other,
and back again; it gives nature eyes and ears,
our eyes and our ears, by sonification or
visualisation. Would this be the new type of
nature Marcuse dreamed about? Can we speak to
it/him/her? Can we close the loop and create
complete cycles? This question must be left for a
later date. For now we can say we have enough
work to do by learning to be able to listen when
nature speaks. Once we will have made substantial
progress in that then the next question will be
if nature gets politically high-jacked again as
the weapon of objective knowledge. Or is it
possible for a number of  'natures' to peacefully
coexist? Media art can provide a specific layer
of access to this complex of questions. It does
not need complete theoretic knowledge to procede
to praxis. It provides experiences by using the
bag-of-tricks of technology with a critical
consciousness. The open question is if media art
can only surprise once (like someone providing a
novelty or a trick) or can create a legacy with
types of expression that are particular to it and
compelling enough for a wide range of people.

Acknowledgements: This text benefitted from
comments by Shu Lea Cheang and Felix Stalder.

1 So called 'Schäferidyllen' or 'Schäferspiele'
which were popular in the pre-romantic period of
classicism; Goethe's Werther and other works of
that period were greatly influenced by it.
2 I am referring particularly to Georg Büchner
and Heinrich Heine
3 Das Kapital, Karl Marx, deutschsprachige
Ausgabe, Wien 1929, Kröner Verlag
4 The only artist, as far as I know, who
literally creates landscape painting of the
information age is Wolfgang Staehle. He is quite
conscious about his references to art history.
But I am actually speaking about other types of
work which are not so aware of the references and
connotations, from the early work of Jodi to
turux.org and many other examples which I could
give.
5 Duncan Watts, Laszlo Barabasi and others follow
this path with the relatively new strand of
'network science'.
6 Richard Dawkins, with his meme theory, conquers
culture through evolutionary determinism
7 Pure Data is the name of a software that allows
real-time processing of information flows,
http://puredata.info
8 The term 'science of the imagination' is
borrowed from The One-dimensional Man by Herbert
Marcuse.
9 Bruno Latour, Pandora's Hope, Harvard
University Press, Boston and London 1999