Alan Sondheim on Sat, 4 Jun 2005 09:05:24 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> forgotten mode of hacking

forgotten mode of hacking

http://www.asondheim.org/
- go to radio jpgs -

from a 1922-1924 book on radio, the illustrations
indicate that 'hacking' existed at least as early as
1920-21 - in relation to radio. the structures are
similar - 'generation gap,' ad-hoc innovation,
networking (there is a picture of an eleven-year-old
teaching others; there are also prizes for the most
innovative radio etc.), probing the radio spectrum as
a form of exploration (and the spectrum as 'place'),
free distribution of knowledge, etc. this is one of
several books I've seen describing the 'boys' (and to
some extent girls - Dorothea and Alice Hanna
construct their own radio as well).

given this, I wonder what other early technological
communications 'hacking' existed - were 'boys'
working with telegraphy for example? and for that
matter, when did car mods begin?