Jay Superfluous on Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:10:14 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> who the f*** is Jay Superfluous?

who the f*** is Jay Superfluous?

"So YOU're the famous JAY SUPERFLUOUS, eh?"

"Famous? If you SAY so, I SUPPOSE."

"So what do YOU do, then?"

"I'm a LUNCHMAKER. I Make FREE LUNCHES."

"There CAN'T be a LOT of MONEY in THAT."

"Well, NO. OF COURSE NOT."

"So what ELSE do you DO?"

"WEll, I ALSO work in DEMOLION. But THAT'S just a HOBBY. I HATE
"PROFESSIONALS", don't YOU?"

"What's WRONG with PROFESSIONALS?"

"I'm an AMATEUR. And a GENTLEMAN. I'm looking to get into the REAL OLYMPICS=
."

"The REAL OLYMPICS?"

"YOU know. THe one where only AMATEURS are ALLOWED."

"So, what's your EVENT?"

"NO-LIMIT ROLLERBALL. For the PLANET."

(brief pause as Gob is Smacked. Don't worry, it's ONLY his REGULAR SMACKING=
.)

"It's a TEAM game, ROLLERBALL: you know THAT, don't you?"

"Yeah, I THINK so."

"So, what TEAM are you ON."

"Well, my FATHER was SCOTTISH, my MOTHER WAS SOUTH AFRICAN, I'm a
BRITISH CITIZEN, a CITIZEN of the UNITED KINGDOM, and a PERMANENT
RESIDENT of AUSTRALIA. And my GRANDFATHER may have been a ZULU, and my
GRANDMOTHER - my MOTHER'S MOTHER - May have been JEWISH. There's
FRENCH HUGUENOT on my mother's side, too. But myn OLDEST ancestor was
COUNT TYRRELL of Poix, 1086, who was a NORMAN, came in as part of the
CONQUEST, and after THAT the TYRRELLS became ENGLISH. In any case,
what makes you think that the TEAMS are limited are COUNTRIES, or
NATIONS, or STATES, or TRIBES. or FAMILIES, or any such {THING}?"

(brief pause)

"So, what COLOUR do you PLAY IN?"

"UNDIVIDED RED"

"What SHADE of RED is THAT?"

"The REDDEST one."

"What do you MEAN?"

"Ahh . . . this is the "Wine-Dark Sea" paradigm. When Homer was
DESCRIBING the SEA, he DESCRIBED the SEA as WINE-DARK. I'd call the
COLOUR of the SEA as Blue, or GREY, or GREEN. There's ABSOLUTELY
NOTHING RED about it, is there?"

"No, you're RIGHT. I wonder why that is?"

"Some believe that there were ONLY TWO COLOURS in those days.
"WINE-DARK" and "NOT WINE-DARK". Personally I reckon that COLOUR is a
LEARNED RESPONSE, in the same way that MUSIC is a LEARNED RESPONSE.
"There IS no ME. There is ONLY LANGUAGE." Well, nowadays we have THREE
PRIMARY COLOURS. YELLOW, RED, & BLUE, out of which you can MAKE all
the REST. I DISAGREE STRONGLY with THAT. What COLOUR is a MIRROR? I
want to SPECIATE REDNESS into TWO DIFFERENT REDS, the way that
BLUE-GREEN and RED turned into TWO SEPARATE COLOURS. The one I'm
TRYING to DISCOVER (or CREATE, or INVENT, or CLASSIFY) I call
{UNDIVIDED RED}. I get to say how {UNDIVIDED RED} anything is. I DON'T
get to say how RED anything is, of course. COLOURS belong to
EVERYBODY. Would YOU want to PRIVATISE COLORS? When I SUCCEED in my
ATTEMPT to ADD a FOURTH COLOUR, I will have to VERY CAREFUL to RELEASE
THE COLOURS. The FOURTH COLOR will NOT be a PAY COLOUR. The FOURTH
COLOUR will be FREE TO AIR. The FOURTH COLOUR will NOT transmit
ADVERTISEMENTS. I'd like the RELEASE the FOURTH COLOUR on Australia's
ABC and BRITAIN'S BBC networks, SIMULTANEOUSLY (AND SYNCHRONOUSLY,
AND, of course, SUPERFLUOUSLY). As well as anyone else who can meet up
with the same NOT-FOR-PROFIT specifications."

"Shit. Will we even SEE you competing, then."

"I hope so. Look for the guy carrying an \/ {OLYMPIC TORCH}
smoking a /\ {CIGARETTE}."

Jay Superfluous
His Grace The Duke Of Melbourne
Professor Of Transparency At The Invisible
College

for Strategies Against Arachnitecture