David M. Berry on Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:46:30 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> for benjamin mako hill

I completely agree with this comment. I was also disappointed to see confusions
between OS and FS and Eric Raymond as an exemplar of the kind of organisation that
would be post-capitalistic (or at least counter-hegemonic) - particularly ironic
considering Raymond's frantic search for a basis of property rights beyond
copyright (see 'Homesteading the Noosphere').

For anyone interested in the distinctions between Open Source and Free Software I
wrote a discourse analysis of the language of the two movements (The Contestation
of Code) which is available at

http://opensource.mit.edu/papers/berry1.pdf

I would also recommend the MIT online library for more documents and research:

http://opensource.mit.edu/online_papers.php

Best

David

On 10 Sep 2005, at 15:16, Michael Truscello wrote:

> While I admire Hardt and Negri's Multitude, it must be noted that
> they do not seem
> to understand Open Source Software.

<...>