John Hopkins on Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:17:16 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> More new orleans

Hallo nettimers --

I thought to remind you of Jacob Holdt, the Danish citizen who traveled in the US,
making informal snapshots of the people -- mostly impoverished Southerners -- that
he met back in the 70's.  While I believe much of the photojournalism from Katrina
is simply more of the same media exploitation-and-crucifiction for the benefit of
the consumer, you will see in it traces of the same intense poverty that Holdt
confronted in his movements.  He worked with an "instamatic" camera and still
tours with a powerful and personal slide show under the title "American Pictures"
-- http://www.american-pictures.com/

I happened to see Holdt's live presentation about 22 years ago in a small
community center in Santa Monica, California.  The intensity of his work, and how
it reveals the soft underbelly of the Beast confirmed my own experiences when I
was working as a roughneck on an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico, based out of the
Mississippi delta town of Houma.

So it goes...

John