Paul D. Miller on Thu, 24 Nov 2005 13:38:21 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Paris Burning [u]

All I can say is, as usual, hypocrisy is hypocrisy is hypocrisy.

Is this the same Finkielkraut who wrote "In the Name of Humanity" and "Defeat of
the Mind?" Hypocrisy never ceases to amaze. I'm sure if it was 1968, he'd be out
there marching and singing songs etc etc

I'd like to see him - as an experiment for example - send a job application under
an assumed name. One that sounds "white" and another that sounds "arab" - who can
say what the result would be, but yeah... the reason the suburbs are burning isn't
about Islamic extremism - its because people see the hypocrisy at every level,
every day - all the time.

I lived in Paris for a year a while ago and was stopped by the police - "papiers?"
- literally everyday. When they found out I was African American, everything was
cool, but they would really hassle the Africans from the continent. It disgusted
me... Anyway, I'm really disappointed that Finkielkraut, like Zizek, can't deal
with the nuances of why this stuff is happening.

Paul