nettime's message splicer on Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:14:27 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Netizens expose scientific fraud in South Korea [3x]

Table of Contents:

   Re: <nettime> Netizens expose scientific fraud in South Korea
     "tobias c. van Veen" <tobias@techno.ca>

   Re: <nettime> Netizens expose scientific fraud in South Korea
     Ronda Hauben <ronda@umcc.ais.org>

   Re: <nettime> Netizens expose scientific fraud in South Korea
     "tobias c. van Veen" <tobias@techno.ca>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 00:30:25 -0500
From: "tobias c. van Veen" <tobias@techno.ca>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Netizens expose scientific fraud in South Korea

Ok, indeed the Net has played a role here, and this is Good, but is this
truly the power of the Net? Wouldn't it make the most sense for a
scientist's peer group to discuss a paper's legitimacy ? Yes, the Net has
facilitated a certain level of conversation, and yes, the journal Science
was fooled, but that this conversation / debate / critique has taken place
in regional-national-linguistic boundaries only highlights those very
geographical and community boundaries. This would have been more significant
and signalled the Net's extensive abilities if it was a non-Korean group of,
say, non-scientific bloggers using Babelfish who had established the
critique. It must be considered that this is not the advantage of broadband
but rather that scientists in a particular region and discipline, thank
Zeus, continue to read and critique each other when they smell a rat, even
after being published and supposedly peer-reviewed. In this case the Net has
become the best means to do so -- in the past, it has been correspondence,
pamphlets, etc. The Net has accelerated the process -- perhaps. The power of
simply reading and researching cannot be underestimated.

Best of the New Year as well, just feeling somewhat weary of that
techno-utopianism after watching SpamSieve forage 1200+ spam messages across
the various accounts daily, tV

tobias c. van Veen -----------++++
http://www.quadrantcrossing.org --
http://www.thisistheonlyart.com --