Benjamin Geer on Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:15:39 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Frank Rieger: We lost the War--Welcome to the World of Tomorrow

On 10/01/06, Prem Chandavarkar <prem@cnt-semac.com> wrote:
> So you have 15% of the electorate on one side, and 4% on the other.  The
> 11% differential is enough to swing any election and all the politicians
> know it.  Therefore, democracy is not about majorities and minorities.
> It is determined by how the debate coalesces around single cause issues.

A referendum would deal with that problem nicely.  If your analysis is
correct, it seems that all you need is a system that makes it easy for
people to bring about referendums.  The Swiss have such a system, if
I'm not mistaken.

Ben