nettime's_ascii_infidel on Wed, 22 Feb 2006 06:05:28 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> republication of cartoons is not digest [mule, murphy]

Re: <nettime> publication of "Jyllands-Posten" cartoons is not... [4x]
     "Joanne Mule" <mulperf@hotmail.com>
     Murphy <murphy@thing.net>

From: "Joanne Mule" <mulperf@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: <nettime> publication of "Jyllands-Posten" cartoons is not... [4x]
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 20:46:09 -0500

Just wanted to chime in on this one.  While I certainly think the
Jyllands-Posten owes an apology to all those offended and I applaud them for
doing so, I don't think that justifies a violent reaction the way that these
people are doing.  Certainly, a letter to the editor may have done the
trick, but it may not have made quite as much impact internationally as it
did.  I can see why they would be frustrated, there are a lot of journalists
and humourists who skirt potentially offensive content in the name of
freedom of speech.  I have to question:  Where do you draw the line between
humor and respect of a culture?  And how does one know when they have
crossed this line?  What is offensive to one person, may be completely
hillarious to another.  I certainly think that Jyllands-Posten has learned a
lesson not to dig up old bones, there is a good reason keep the events of
the past in perspective.  But if the paper's purpose was to say, "Look,
history repeats itself!", this was a good illustration.  I would like to
know how the readers reacted when it was first published, perhaps knowing
the readers reaction the first time may have stopped them from making the
same mistake twice.

 <...>