Paul D. Miller on Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:38:16 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Censoring Boing Boing: A Case in point

One of the things that always makes one chuckle is the subtle way
that we've probably moved into a far more totalitarian world than the
Soviets could have imagined in their wildest dreams. The internet was
made to withstand nuclear war, but it can barely hold its own in the
face of politics!

Paul

By XENI JARDIN
Published: March 9, 2006

AMERICAN technology firms are taking heat from the public and
Congress for helping China's government police the Internet. But this
controversy extends well beyond China and the so-called Internet Gang
of Four: Google, Yahoo, Cisco and Microsoft. Just how many American
companies are complicit hit home for me last month when dozens of
readers of BoingBoing.net e-mailed us to say they had been suddenly
denied access.
Luba Lukova

The cause was SmartFilter, a product from a Silicon Valley company,
Secure Computing. A recent update to the nannyware's list of no-no
sites had started blocking our site as containing "nudity." This is
absurd: a visit to BoingBoing might yield posts about iPod-shaped
cakes and spaceship blueprints, but not pornography. SmartFilter's
data managers later told us that even thumbnails of Michelangelo's
"David" could land a site on the forbidden "nudity" list.

Many of our locked-out readers were trying to view BoingBoing from
libraries, schools and their workplaces. That is regrettable but not
tragic, as American viewers generally have other options. But after
regular visitors from Qatar and Saudi Arabia complained, we
discovered a more worrisome problem: government-controlled Internet
service providers were using SmartFilter to effectively block access
for entire countries.

Secure Computing refused to provide me with a list of the governments
that use its filters. However, the OpenNet Initiative, a partnership
between the University of Toronto, Cambridge University and Harvard
Law School, has compiled data on how such products are used in
foreign nations where censorship is easy because the governments
control all Internet service providers.

The initiative found that SmartFilter has been used by
government-controlled monopoly providers in Kuwait, Oman, Saudi
Arabia, Sudan, Tunisia and the United Arab Emirates. It has also been
used by state-controlled providers in Iran, even though American
companies are banned from selling technology products there. (Secure
Computing denies selling products or updates to Iran, which is
probably using pirated versions.)

According to OpenNet, filtering products from another American
company, Websense, have also been used by a state-controlled service
provider in Iran, ParsOnline. Yemen uses Websense products to filter
content on its two government-owned service providers. Websense
software, the initiative says, filters out "sex education and
provocative clothing sites, gay- and lesbian-related materials,
gambling sites, dating sites, drug-related sites, sites enabling
anonymous Web surfing, proxy servers that circumvent filtering, and
sites with content related to converting Muslims to other religions."

The initiative also found that Myanmar, arguably the most repressive
regime in the world, uses censorware from the American company
Fortinet. And Singapore's government-controlled Singnet server uses
filtering technology from SurfControl, a company formed from the
merger of several censorware companies that is now technically
British but has its filtering operations headquarters in California.

One of our most laudable national goals is the  export of free speech
and free information, yet American companies are selling censorship.
While some advocates of technology rights have proposed consumer
boycotts and Congressional action to pressure these firms into
responsible conduct, a good first step would be adding filtering
technologies to the United States Munitions List, an index of
products for which exporters have to file papers with the State
Department. While this won't end such sales, it will bring them to
light and give the public and lawmakers a better basis on which to
consider stronger steps.

If American companies are already obligated to disclose the sale of
bombs and guns to repressive regimes, why not censorware?

Xeni Jardin is a co-editor of BoingBoing.net .