Andrew Bucksbarg on Wed, 10 May 2006 11:19:00 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> There is no third world, ergo no 3rd world city/cities

Perhaps the distinctions "developer" and "developee" (or "developed
upon") would be more apt to describe the (v)empire associations in
this context...

I would also argue that the distinction between city and rural is
just as archaic as the "#rd worlds of the 50's."

Can we broaden our thinking beyond the city or urban?  A small
college town may be much more rural than a metropolis, but just as
intellectually or culturally productive as a city, but it doesn't
make sense to think of a university as an "intellectual city".  When
does a village or town become a metropolis?  What about networks of
villages?  Does technology create the "anti-city"?  Perhaps these
convergences of ideologies, machineries, biologies and
spatializations we define as city or rurality need much more complex
descriptions...

Aside from fraudulence in elections, politics in the U.S. for
instance, demonstrates that important theories of ruralities or
different concentrations of networks of people and space are very
important to consider as well as the urban.  Perhaps "ruralities" is
a term for an interconnecting network of villages and small
communities, something akin, yet other than city...

And what do we think of the expatriate of the metropolis or the ex-
urbanite?

Ndrew

On May 7, 2006, at 11:13 PM, Jamil Brownson wrote:

> metropolis, urbanity, city, irrespective of language/terminology,
> the last resort

<....>