Brian Holmes on Sun, 6 Aug 2006 00:50:06 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Re: rejoinder: is a radical project identity achievable?

[Post from Benjamin Geer, benjamin.geer@gmail.com, addressed
2 days ago to me and nettime, never made it on nettime. -BH]

On 01/08/06, Brian Holmes <brian.holmes@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> What kind of culture, what kind of shared horizon can
> help us get there? [...]
> A political culture that can resolve serious differences
> between dissenting groups, and can draw plans for using and
> governing the productive forces that make and shake the
> earthscape [...]
> The exact science of our unbound
> dreams is what governments should be afraid of.

Brian, I sympathise immensely with your motivation for
asking these questions, but I think this quest for a
universal progressive political culture is Quixotic and
perhaps dangerous, despite the best of intentions.

In 2002 I fell under the spell of a hypothesis: that some of
the principles of what I saw as the political culture of
free software -- open participation, public ownership of
knowledge, strong reliance on consensus -- could be applied
to other kinds of production -- to industry, to agriculture
-- and could be used to build political systems capable of
organising human life on a large scale.  I was encouraged to
find similar principles at work in some European activist
groups and workers' collectives.  I was disappointed to find
that many activist groups, however, were organised along the
opaque, authoritarian lines of traditional political
parties, and speculated that if European social movements
could be persuaded instead to put these principles
(described at http://www.open-organizations.org) into
practice, they would not only do their work as activists
better, they would also embody a real alternative to the
failed models of parliamentary democracy and of the
political party, an alternative that might thus appeal to
the broader disillusioned European public.

Indeed, I wondered, could these principles become part of a
political culture capable of working on a global level, a
new universalist dream to replace the failed dream of
communism, in short the Holy Grail evoked by your questions
above?

I knew enough about ethnocentrism to have strong
reservations about anything resembling yet another
Enlightenment project intended to bring a universal
political culture to the world's benighted masses. I
wondered: What are the necessary links between one's
political culture and the rest of the culture that one lives
in?  How can one choose between the competing claims of any
proposed new political culture and those of any existing
culture?  Who can legitimately make such choices?

The Left has tended to settle such questions impatiently,
without much reflection, by reference to supposedly
universal principles of Marxism (once thought by many, and
still by some, to be an "exact science") or of the French
Enlightenment, or more often, by instinct ("I personally
can't accept..."), which amounts to the same thing.  Any
political culture that doesn't correspond to those
principles therefore appears backward and, it is thought,
should be consigned to the dustbin of history.

I decided not to look any further for any sort of "shared
horizon" until I had carefully studied a non-Western
culture, in its political and other aspects, in some depth.
 I studied Arabic, and a year ago I began an extended
period of study in the Middle East.  I have learnt a great
deal here and hope to learn a great deal more.  I don't have
answers to the questions I asked above, but I'm more
convinced than ever that these are hard and important
questions, not to be brushed aside in any premature rush
towards an imagined universalism.

I don't think politics can be separated from culture.  The
British House of Commons, European anarchist working groups,
and the deliberations among the heads of clans in Upper
Egypt all have their distinctive cultures.  Perhaps you are
right, Brian, that tomorrow's social movements need a new
shared horizon as the basis for international cooperation.
But even if that's true, let it not be a totalitarian
horizon, one that attempts to cast all political life in the
same mould.  Let it be one that allows individuals and
groups to move freely among political cultures and to
mediate between them.

Ben