Keith Sanborn on Tue, 22 Aug 2006 07:29:01 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> IDF reading Deleuze and Guattari (and Debord)

Dear Eric:

Perhaps I was not utterly clear in responding to
the information presented about the IDF and their
new reading materials.

I think the article on Israeli tactics has the
odor of the New York Times on Sunday: fashionable
obfuscation. While it's not utterly uninteresting
that the military is reading Debord or Deleuze
and Guattari, it's worse than beside the point.
It gives a fashionable label to their tactics and
might be seen as cautionary to intellectuals
suggesting radical attacks on the status quo:
Can't they be recuperated, after all? Or worse:
hey, these guys are reading the same stuff we
are; we must have something in common. Militarism
with a hipster face. Or again: gosh, maybe if the
IDF is interested, there must be something wrong
with this material.

You are right in saying, that the age of theory
is not so important in judging its validity, but
the point of the article seemed to be how au
courant the IDF was. And as you rightly point
out, the tactics allegedly being derived from
this reading of French avant-garde intellectuals
are not anything new in urban warfare. I
mentioned that point because one, I was giving
them the benefit of the doubt as to the novelty
of the tactic-misplaced as you point out-and two,
it seemed to reveal the whole story in one
psychological metaphor. I don't think it was
accidental that the person describing the horror
of the terrorist side of this tactic on its
victims was a woman. Third, it betrays the
unstated intent of the tactic: destruction of
physical infrastructure and living space. People
who get killed are not even collateral damage in
this scenario. It is the obscenity--the placement
off-stage of this casual extermination--of this
strategy which gets lost in this article and its
unexamined reportage.

I agree that Sun-Tzu is a very interesting and
widely influential thinker. For that reason,
everyone in the universe from businessmen to
artists has been reading Sun-Tzu for the last 25
years and any military tactician who's been
trained in the last 200 years anywhere in the
world has, or should have read Sun-Tzu. When I
lasted checked several years ago, there were over
a dozen editions in print in English alone.
Debord studied Sun-Tzu closely along with von
Clausewitz and actually did derive some cultural
strategies, if not specific tactics, from that
reading. He quotes von Clausewitz a bit more
frequently than Sun Tsu, however. Thanks for that
information about Nguyen Giap; I will add "Revolt
in the Desert" to my reading list.

As a small footnote, I find that Napoleon's
writings on the art of war (Comment faire la
guerre, Editions Champ Libre or my own English
translation of that same collection) are at least
equally relevant to contextualizing current
"culture" and real wars. Napoleon gives us the
first critique of ideology; he coined the word
"id?ologue," for example.

Best,

Keith Sanborn

> The article on Israeli tactical thinking is interesting
> in (1) demonstrating the intellectual bent of some of
> their field commanders and (2) the use of analogy to
> apply studies in one subject to development of methods
> of action in another.
 <...>