Patrice Riemens on Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:06:27 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: Pew: Experts assess Future of Internet

Geert wrote about it:
"report full of contradictions and yesterday's predictions. interesting
that the growing international dimension of the Internet is not
mentioned at all, except for a reference to mandarin. it is quite clear
which narrow group of wasp expertocracy the pew internet project
focused on here, and how predictable the outcome then becomes..."

I found the term 'yesterday's predictions' highly amusing - the more
so since I was once described as "this young man has a very bright
future _behind_ him". However, just as in my case, 'yesterday's
predictions' have a tendency to come out, and none quotted here from
the Pew report seem particularly outrageous. So I do not think that
it deserves such scathing comment since it is a honest attempt by a
diverse, though very US-centered, group of people to make some sense
of bewildering, unpredictable and extremely fast-moving developments.
That said, futurology of course ranks close to astrology in the scale
of the hard sciences (with economics trailing not far behind ;-) Fred
Noronha fwded to the BytesforAll list the following DPA brief, which
gives more voice to the pessimists and the dissenters. Needless to say
that I most 'liked', and completely believe, in the last prediction...

ciaou, p+3D!