coco fusco on Sun, 8 Oct 2006 21:36:11 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Gender and You

Dear Kali

Thank you for your important statements and also for sticking to your
guns on these questions, which have always been difficult for active
nettimers ( who are largely white, male and straight) to respond
to without knee jerk deployment of terms such as "essentialist"
which are used as epithets. There is little consciousness in this
context of how the refusal to deal intelligently with thoughtful
feminist and postcolonial critiques contributes to generating an
environmentin which fundamentalisms of all kinds of flourish. The
actually repressive nature of the supposedly universalist neutrality
of the internet, of new media art milieus, of European and American
democratic cultures is what becomes evident when dialogues such as the
one you propose are foreclosed by reticence and even silence of your
interlocutors.

 Coco Fusco

Kali Tal <kali@kalital.com> wrote:

> Alan and I simply disagree on identity politics. I don't think that
> "male baggage" can be left behind ; I think that social/cultural/
> "gender location is crucially important in any analysis; I think it's
> "impossible to do good analysis at all if race/gender/class isn't part
> "of the critique.

<....>