nettime's_digestive_system on Tue, 10 Oct 2006 22:47:53 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Why Isn't There Men's Studies? [2x]

Table of Contents:

   Re: <nettime> Gender and Us [10x]
     "Benjamin Geer" <benjamin.geer@gmail.com>

   Re: <nettime> Why Isn't There Men's Studies?
     Kali Tal <kali@kalital.com>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 13:28:04 +0200
From: "Benjamin Geer" <benjamin.geer@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Gender and Us [10x]

Katherine Dodds <kdodds@hellocoolworld.com> wrote:
> One possible source of the "man problem" is that the male gender
> continues to spend almost time problematizing masculinity, certainly
> less time than both men and women spend gazing with fascination and
> horror on femininity,

I agree that asking people what it's like to be them is a good idea,
and I'd like to know whether there's any feminist theory that's
based on asking men what it's like to be men, rather than on women's
impressions of what men want or feel. I don't mean this sarcastically
or rhetorically: I was exposed to a fair amount of feminist theory at
university, some of it excellent in my opinion, but unfortunately I
never came across anything like this. If it exists, I'd like to know.

Ben