nettime's_vapor_trail on Sat, 14 Oct 2006 05:49:48 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> (a|uh) digest [x3: butt, whitener, leon]

Danny Butt <db@dannybutt.net>
    Re: <nettime> Gender and You
"brian whitener" <iwaslike@hotmail.com>
    wait, was that about sondheim?
leon <leon@c6.org>
    RE: <nettime> Gender and You

From: Danny Butt <db@dannybutt.net>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Gender and You
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 11:39:40 +1300

Charles,

I  think most of what is useful for me to say about the issues is
already on the table, but I should just clarify that having hovered
around nettime for about a decade, I've seen a lot of Alan's work,
and enjoyed some of it, and have at least some understanding of his
project.

To reconfigure my earlier point, it's not that Alan hasn't *read* any
feminism, so much as I find it bizarre that he can write something
purporting to be a research finding about gender that makes no
reference to contemporary feminist work in that area. To me it's
difficult to "make a contribution" to a field if you don't
acknowledge the work people are doing in it.  You're asserting that
Alan's made that contribution, but I would believe that more if I
heard it from people who have expertise in feminist philosophy and
criticism (I don't put myself in that category, so I'm open to being
set right).

Danny

On 14/10/2006, at 4:50 AM, Charles Baldwin wrote:

> By contrast, it's just incorrect to assert that Alan's problem is that he
> needs to go read up on feminism, as Danny Butt does in a recent  post
> (below). I think, in fairness, Danny Butt's post writes from unfamiliarity
> with Alan's work - or at least that's is my impression.  Alan's work *is*
> informed by a few decades of feminist philosophy and criticism (empirically
> the largest body of work on gender issues) and makes a contribution to that
> field and acknowledges that it exists.
 <...>