nettime's_doubleplusuncountercountercounterreformer on Tue, 17 Oct 2006 04:42:45 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> pope-on-a-rope digest [x5: butt, tal, pentecost, miller, baldwin (sondheim by proxy)]

Re: <nettime> On brouhahas and battles
     Danny Butt <db@dannybutt.net>
     Kali Tal <kali@kalital.com>
     Claire Pentecost <cpentecost@artic.edu>
Give the Female Pope a Rope
     "Charles Baldwin" <Charles.Baldwin@mail.wvu.edu>

From: Danny Butt <db@dannybutt.net>
Subject: Re: <nettime> On brouhahas and battles
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 22:29:54 +1300

Speaking of the language of 40 years ago, some of it sounds pretty
relevant!

"I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely
disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the
regrettable conclusion that the negros great stumbling block in his
stride toward freedom is not the White Citizens Councilor or the Ku
Klux Klan, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to order than
to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of
tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who
constantly says: I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot
agree with your methods of direct action; who paternalistically
believes he can set the timetable for another mans freedom; who lives
by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to
wait for a more convenient season. Shallow understanding from people
of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from
people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than
outright rejection."

-- Martin Luther King, Letter From The Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963.

On 16/10/2006, at 8:05 AM, E. Miller wrote:

> Hi Martha, thanks for your thoughtful reply.
 <...>

--
http://www.dannybutt.net