Geert Lovink on Sat, 2 Dec 2006 07:03:14 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Interview with Saskia Sassen by Magnus Wennerhag

Denationalized states and global assemblages
Interview with Saskia Sassen by Magnus Wennerhag

http://www.eurozine.com/articles/2006-11-20-sassen-en.html

"The liberal state has been hijacked for neoliberal agendas," says
Saskia Sassen in interview, and in some cases even for "very modern
despotisms". It is necessary to repossess the state apparatus for
genuine liberal democracy, and ideally to create a "denationalized
state".

Magnus Wennerhag: Today, there is an obvious difference between the
rhetoric of liberalism ? that is, liberalism as political ideology ?
and the actual workings of the state in liberal-democratic polities.
 From an historical perspective, how should we understand this
difference?

Saskia Sassen: I would distinguish two issues. One is that
historically, liberalism is deeply grounded in a particular combination
of circumstances. Most important is the struggle by merchants and
manufacturers to gain liberties vis-à-vis the Crown and the
aristocracy, and the use of the market as the institutional setting
that both gave force and legitimacy to that claim. Seen this way, why
should liberalism not have decayed? What rescued liberalism was
Keynesianism, the extension of a socially empowering project to the
whole of society. This is the crisis today: Keynesianism has been
attacked by new types of actors, including segments of the political
elite. What is happening today is on the one hand a decay (objectively
speaking) of liberalism even as an ideology ? being replaced with
neoliberalism, attacks on the welfare state, etc ? and, on the other
hand, a decay of the structural conditions within which Keynesian
liberalism could function. So the struggle today has been renamed: one
key term is democratic participation and representation, and those who
use this language will rarely invoke liberalism. When we praise
liberalism, it is often a situated defense: as against neoliberalism,
as against fundamentalisms and despotisms ? this is not necessarily
invoking historical liberalism, which at its origins was defending the
rights of an emerging class of property owners, but the best aspects of
a doctrine that had to do with the fight against the despotism of Crown
and nobility.

MW: In your new book Territory, authority, rights: From medieval to
global assemblages (Princeton University Press, 2006) you call the
development of the US state "illiberal". Is this a more general
development that can be seen in other countries as well?

SS: Theoretically speaking, I would say that we will see similar trends
in other liberal democratic regimes that are neo-liberalizing their
social policies, hollowing out their legislatures/parliaments, and
augmenting as well as privatizing or protecting the power of their
executive or prime ministerial branch of government. That is to say, we
will see these trends where we see the conditions I identify for the
US, even though they will assume their own specific forms and contents.
I would say that Blair's reign in the UK especially since the war on
Iraq has clearly moved in this direction. Instead of being guided (and
disciplined!) by the Cabinet, which is parliament based, Blair set up a
parallel "cabinet" at Downing Street from which he got much of his
advice and confirmations of the correctness of his decisions. This had
the effect of hollowing out the real Cabinet. This may also explain why
some of the leading figures of the real Cabinet resigned: Robin Cook,
Clare Short. All of this is well known and much commented on in the UK.
At the same time, I would argue that even though Berlusconi's regime
had some of these features, it was more a consequence of corruption and
manipulation of the political apparatus than the type of systemic
development I am alluding to. The answer to your question is also
empirical: we need research to understand where this systemic trend is
emerging and becoming visible/operational.

MW: Many European countries are currently contemplating introducing
some type of "citizenship tests". In Sweden, the traditionally social
liberal Folkpartiet has pursued this issue and proposed that immigrants
have to pass a language test to become Swedish citizens. Generally, the
party wants to apply more paternalistic political measures ? "tough on
crime", more discipline in schools ? especially regarding immigrants.
The corresponding political party in Denmark has, during its time in
office, brought this development even further. Speaking of liberalism
as a political ideology, do you see it as being in the midst of a
crisis, or is it simply adapting to the conditions of the prevailing
(economic, political, legal, etc) order?

SS: I would say traditional liberalism is in crisis, or at least being
attacked by the governments themselves as well as by powerful economic
actors and certain traditional society sectors, such as fundamentalist
evangelical groups in the US. Why should it last forever? Nothing has ?
except the Catholic Church, I guess. But to do so it has had to
reinvent itself regularly. This does not mean that the aspiration of
democratic participatory political systems is going under. On the
contrary. But its historical liberal form is stressed. Perhaps the real
question is whether the state in countries such as the US is liberal,
or ever was liberal. It may have implemented liberal policies, and the
legislature at various times did embed liberal norms in the state
apparatus. But these did not always last. Today we are witnessing yet
another set of breakdowns. As for the issues around immigration you
mention, they are also happening in the US, where there was even a
proposal to make undocumented immigration into a criminal act and
status. This is new.

MW: Around the turn of the last century, the discovery of the "social
question" (and the rise of the workers' movement) transformed politics
in a profound way. It changed the liberal notion of "citizenship",
which became more inclusive, making space for previously excluded
social classes and political subjectivities. New models for mediating
social conflicts via the state were created. From this perspective, how
can the handling of today's "social question" ? the groups that are
marginal or excluded in today's economic circuits and the political
subjectivities that this gives birth to ? be interpreted?

SS: This is a critical arena. It is an issue which illuminates like few
others the decaying capacity of the liberal state to handle the social
question ? given the type of liberalism that has evolved over the last
twenty to thirty years and the context within which today's liberal
state operates.

In my new book, I argue that the formal political system accommodates
less and less of the political today. Hence informal forms and spaces
of the political become increasingly important today. Most familiar is
probably the whole range of street politics. You can demonstrate
against police brutality even if you are an undocumented immigrant or a
tourist visiting a friend. I am particularly interested in how cultural
events can become political at particular times and places. Thus the
circus (street circus) has become a political form today, as have
parades such as the Afro-Caribbean parades in London and New York, or
the gay parades in a growing number of cities around the world. When
the Madres de la Plaza de Mayo stood in front of the houses of power in
Buenos Aires during the dictatorship protesting the disappearance of
their sons and daughters, they were there as mothers, not as formal
citizens. And in that sense they were informal political actors,
because the legal persona of the "mother" is private, not that of a
political actor. I think it was precisely their being there as mothers
that protected them, because as citizens they would have been violating
the contract between the citizen and the state, and they would probably
have been jailed.

Important to my analysis are two other points. One is the role of
space. There are kinds of spaces that are particularly enabling, and I
think large messy cities, especially global cities, are such spaces.

Secondly, I argue that today the multinational corporation, which is a
private legal persona, also functions as an informal political actor at
a time when the globalizing of the economy requires that national
states change some of their key laws and regulations so that there is a
global space for the operations of these firms. They have and continue
to put a lot of pressure on governments to do what they want done. Yes,
they are informal political actors. I should say, on a more theoretical
note, that this points to something that has long been critical in my
work: the multivalence of many of the emergent social forms ? these new
social forms can incorporate what we might call the good and the bad
guys.

MW: You mention some of the subjectivities at work today in what you
interpret as new political spaces. Do we also have to invent new forms
of rights that include those on the outside?

SS: This brings up a critical dynamic, but one that is elusive and
often obscured by the hatreds and passions of a period. Some of the
best social and civic rights we have achieved in Western societies have
come out of the struggles for and against inclusion of the
disadvantaged, or the discriminated, or the outsiders. The struggles by
women for the vote are an example, as are the struggles of any
minoritized citizen ? black in the US, for instance. So were the
struggles by medieval merchants who fought for the right to protect
their property from the abuses of the king, nobility, and Church. When
you look at the history of immigration in western Europe (much more so
than in the US), you can see how the struggles to include the outsider
thickened the civic fabric. In the European context, where the civic
matters, including the outsider has always been a big deal. In
contrast, in the US with its laissez-faire stance, the notion was more:
You want to come in? Fine. But you are on your own. This is clearly a
simplification, given the racisms that have proliferated in the US,
starting with the racializing of the Irish. But in Europe, including
the outsider has meant access to public health and other public
services, a reasonable sense of integration. This is, of course, also
an exaggeration, but still that is the orientation. The outcome was
that European countries had to invent new administrative instruments
and often new legal statutes to handle these matters. But this was to
the benefit of all, as it strengthened the right to public goods. We
have not had this type of development in the US. This was clearly a
complex history, but I think these contrasting alignments are present
in the trajectories of the US and western Europe.

This was hard work. In my work I emphasize that these types of
struggles for inclusion and for the production of new administrative
instruments and new types of rights by law took work, took making.
Today we seem to have a consumer attitude to these difficult times,
such as today's anti-immigrant politics. If there is no ready-made
solution lying on a shelf, there must be no solution. We have lost the
historical sense of "making".

This political work was often the work of minorities in their struggles
for recognition and inclusion. But it typically involved some dedicated
groups, politicians, activists of a country's majorities who believed
in the need for including rather than excluding. Again, some of our
best rights have come out of this history of struggles by the
disadvantaged and those holding political ideals that made them
marginal, no matter how much a part of the dominant society they may
have been. I like to emphasize that these struggles contained the work
of making rights ? in fact, often making new rights. This was not only
about asking for inclusion under existing rights or asking for a bigger
share of the government's pie. Including the outsider meant "making
new" rights, especially civic and social. This is a long history in
what was largely a Europe of cities.

Today the landscape is confusing ? confusing in the sense that it does
not make visible all the elements, and in that sense, hermetic. We need
to detect what struggles and debates today signal the possibility of
the making of new rights. Here I do find that the question of
immigration, but also that of racialized citizens, of gays and lesbians
and queers, of political dissenters at a time of exceptional powers
granted to states ? really the executive branch of states ? are the
ones that can materialize the making of new rights.

MW: The idea of the private sphere ? the home as well as the market ?
has for long been the target of criticism, from progressive theorists
as well as social movements, for veiling and legitimizing asymmetries
of power and injustices. Are we today, because of the more frequent
violations of personal integrity (surveillance, "moral politics", etc),
confronting a situation where a different private sphere must be
constructed, rather than continuing the criticism of the public-private
divide? Or do you see new possibilities coming out of the withering
away of old dividing lines between the private and the public?

SS: This is a complex issue and one I spent quite a bit of time teasing
out in the book. Yes, the division as historically constructed is under
stress. And it is not just because of surveillance technologies and the
erosion of privacy rights. Nor can the current change be explained by
the fact that the personal is political and the site for multiple
asymmetries. All of these critical aspects are part of the picture, but
in one way or another they have been there for a long time.

What is different, or specific to the current transformation? At the
deepest level, I argue, it has to do with a changing logic organizing
the division of private/public. In its historical origins, this
division was a working division: there were specific aims having to do
with allowing the expansion of markets, contesting absolutist powers of
the Crown, and so on.

My question is: what is the logic that underlies today's changes. It is
impossible to do justice to the subject, but here are some elements of
my answer. First, the privatizing of executive power brings with it a
fundamental inversion of the state/citizen (public/private)
relationship. The executive is less and less accountable and citizens'
privacy rights are increasingly perforated. Secondly, these perforated
privacy rights are but one instance of deteriorating rights for
citizens (the most familiar being deteriorating social rights).

Third, a great strengthening of the market sphere, but with an ironic
twist: a greater autonomy that allows powerful economic actors, notably
global firms, to act as informal political agents. This then moves into
my analysis about the denationalizing, partial and specialized, that
these firms can bring about in the policies of nation-states ? they get
reoriented, away from historically defined national aims towards
denationalized global aims. And the latter holds particularly for the
executive branch. There are several other issues that I develop,
including the growing use of economic corporate law in shaping market
dynamics. Markets are not natural conditions; they are created
institutions. And today they are being made in particular ways.

MW: What are the implications of a more widespread use of private
"legal" techniques, private institutions (private arbitration courts,
etc), and private creation of norms, ? in general, an increase in the
power of private institutions ? seen from the perspective of
fundamental liberal-democratic values and regarding the possibilities
for democratic governance?

SS: Two outcomes. One is that the centripetal power at the heart of the
historic project of the nation-state begins to disassemble, partly. The
centre no longer holds the way it used to ? though this was never
absolute, always imperfect, and with much leakage. The result has been
a decay in the normative framings, balances between power and
vulnerability, and other good features of liberal democracy. So we may
still have the systems, the institutions, of that democracy but they
mean less and less. Thus in the US we still vote, but it means less.
First we had the rapidly falling rates of participation in voting, now
down to well under half of the voting population. And the Bush
Administration brought with it yet another phase of decay: a contested
election that had to be decided by fiat by the Supreme Court. It also
revealed that the voting machines of poor black areas were so defective
that many of their votes were not counted, including in past elections.

In my reading, the internal transformation of the state apparatus ?
growing distance and asymmetry between the power of the executive/prime
minister and hollowing out of legislatures/parliaments ? is one
indication of this institutional decay of "liberal democracies". Again,
the US is an extreme case of this decay. You in Sweden have working
institutions, as do many of the European countries. The change in the
public-private division that I spoke of earlier is another indication
of institutional decay in liberal democracy.

In the case of the systems you mention in your question, systems
predicated on privatizing "legal" processes, this comes down to an
explosion deep inside the institutions of liberal democracy ? a kind of
subterranean explosion of which we are only seeing the most superficial
reverberations, and most people barely recognize them. I go on and on
about this in the new book ? it is difficult to address in a few words
precisely because it is made up of many (I counted over a hundred)
small, specialized, often invisible except if you are part of them,
legal systems that function in various ways at least partly outside the
framing of the national state. These are mostly very partial rather
than holistic and mostly private systems of justice and private systems
of authority.

In my research for the new book, I found dozens of such private systems.

To this we should probably add the new kinds of supranational and
global systems that begin to eat away at the central authority and the
centripetal forces that marked the nation-state, the project of the
nation-state. In this new landscape I include informal global systems,
that is, systems not running through the interstate or supranational
institutional world. Among these are, for example, the various global
networks of activists (on the environment, social justice, human
rights, etc). I also include the emergence of subjectivities that are
not encased by the national ? they overflow the national. Some of this
is actually very positive, as it denationalizes the national. In other
words, these global systems include negative and positive networks from
my perspective.

But this also begins to eat away at some of the foundational
architecture of liberal participatory democracies. Clearly these trends
are far more developed in some countries than in others.

MW: Sovereign authority can be seen as state sovereignty, but also as
popular sovereignty ? the collective self-realization of the people, in
contrast to mere territorial control. Is there any difference in how
"de-nationalization" exerts an influence on these different kinds of
sovereignty?

SS: There is a revolutionary clause in all the new constitutions framed
in the 1990s ? Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, South Africa, the central
European countries, and some others. It has gotten very little
attention, which surprises me. It says that the sovereign (the state,
in the language of international law) even if democratically elected
cannot presume to be the exclusive representative of its people in
international fora. What lies behind this is the claim making (back to
my informal politics) by a variety of groups that do not want to be
merged into some sort of collective identity represented by the state.
We can think of first-nation peoples, minoritized citizens of all
sorts, new types of feminisms that are transnational, political
dissenters, and probably all kinds of other actors now in the making,
as we speak.

This clause is revolutionary in that it goes beyond, indeed, contests,
the major achievement of the French and American revolutions, which was
to posit that the people are the sovereign and the sovereign is the
people. The achievement of these earlier revolutions was to eliminate
the distance between the people and a putatively divine sovereign
(state).

This signals for me the beginning of a reconstituting of sovereignty.

With the notion of denationalization I try to capture and make visible
a mix of dynamics that is also altering sovereignty but is doing so
from the inside out, and on the ground, so to speak ? the multiple
micro-processes that are reorienting the historic national project
towards the new global project. National state policies may still be
couched in the language of the national, but at least some of them no
longer are: they are now oriented towards building global systems
inside the national state. From there, then, the term
denationalization.

MW: Is it possible to discern any counter-powers on the global level,
working to re-institute the fundamental principles of the
liberal-democratic (nation) state on a global level? Do you think that
the criticism of the global justice movement, of institutions like the
WTO and the IMF, and its demands for more transparency and a
democratization of global institutions, can play a positive role in
this?

SS: Yes, definitely. I think one critical element is the notion of
repossessing the state apparatus for genuine liberal democracy. The
liberal state has been hijacked for neoliberal agendas, and even new
types of very modern despotisms. By this I mean despotisms that are
less heavy-handed, more intermediated through propaganda machineries,
etc.

My preferred version is a denationalized state. I am not keen on
nationalisms.

Another critical element is the notion I talked about earlier: that the
formal political apparatus accommodates less and less of the political
and hence the growing importance of informal political actors and
political struggles. I see a lot of this emerging.

Besides what I said earlier, these politics also include a sort of
denationalizing of the claim to the right to have rights. And, at the
other end, a politics of the rights to the city, which makes politics
concrete and democratic, and also has the effect of denationalizing
politics ? this is not about exclusive allegiance to the state, this is
about a denationalized politics.

MW: The title of your new book indicates that the concept of
"assemblages" is central to your analysis. What role does this concept
have for the description of the hierarchies of power in today's world?
And how does it relate to your earlier research on the global city?

SS: A key yet much overlooked feature of the current period is the
multiplication of a broad range of partial, often highly specialized,
cross-border systems for governing a variety of processes both inside
and across nation-states. These systems include at one end of the
spectrum private systems such as the lex constructionis ? a private
"law" developed by the major engineering companies in the world to
establish a common mode of dealing with the strengthening of
environmental standards in the countries where they are building. At
the other end of the spectrum, they include the first ever global
public court, the International Criminal Court, which is not part of
the supranational system and has universal jurisdiction among signatory
countries. Beyond the diversity of these systems, there is the
increasingly weighty fact of their numbers ? over 125 according to the
best recent count. The proliferation of these systems does not
represent the end of national states, but they do begin to disassemble
bits and pieces of the national.

Emphasizing this multiplication of partial systems contrasts with much
of the globalization literature that has focused on what are at best
bridging events, such as the reinvented IMF or the creation of the WTO.
Rather than the transformation itself. The actual dynamics being shaped
are far deeper and more radical than such entities as the WTO or the
IMF, no matter how powerful they are as foot soldiers. These
institutions should rather be conceived of as having powerful
capabilities in the making of a new order ? they are instruments, not
the new order itself. Similarly, the Bretton Woods system was a
powerful instrument that facilitated some of the new global formations
that emerged in the 1980s but was not itself the beginning of the new
order as is often asserted.

These cross-border systems amount to particularized assemblages of bits
of territory, authority, and rights that used to be part of more
diffuse institutional domains within the nation-state or, at times, the
supranational system. I see in this proliferation of specialized
assemblages a tendency toward a mixing of constitutive rules once
solidly lodged in the nation-state project. These novel assemblages are
partial and often highly specialized, centered in particular utilities
and purposes. Their emergence and proliferation bring several
significant consequences even though this is a partial, not an
all-encompassing development. They are potentially profoundly
unsettling for what are still the prevalent institutional arrangements
? nation-states and the supranational system. They promote a
multiplication of diverse spatio-temporal framings and diverse
normative orders where once the dominant logic was toward producing
unitary national spatial, temporal, and normative framings.

This proliferation of specialized orders extends even inside the state
apparatus. I argue that we can no longer speak of "the" state, and
hence of "the" national state versus "the" global order. We see a novel
type of segmentation inside the state apparatus, with a growing and
increasingly privatized executive branch of government aligned with
specific global actors, notwithstanding nationalist speeches, and we
see a hollowing out of legislatures which increasingly become confined
to fewer and more domestic matters. This realignment weakens the
capacity of citizens to demand accountability from the executive and it
partly erodes the privacy rights of citizens ? a historic shift of the
private-public division at the heart of the liberal state, albeit
always an imperfect division.

MW: Lately, several "grand narratives" of globalization have been
formulated by theorists such as Manuel Castells, Michael Hardt, and
Antonio Negri. In what ways does your own theory resemble, or differ
from, these?

SS: I share much with them, and I know them all. There is much
political trust among us. But since you ask about possible theoretical
differences, let me answer. One way of starting is to say that their
effort has been to map the emergent global. And I agree with what they
see and the importance they give to this global. But that is not what I
am doing.

Very briefly, my struggle over the last twenty years has been to go
beyond the self-evident global scale, and detect the global at
sub-national levels. From there comes my concept of the global city,
for instance. One way of putting it is that I like to go digging in the
penumbra of master categories. The global has become a master category,
and is so blindingly clear that it puts a lot of places, actors, and
dynamics in a deep shadow. My current work on the denationalized state
? no matter how intense the renationalizing also is ? is yet another
instance of the global that is not self-evidently global. I am
interested in the ways in which the global might be endogenous to the
national. For example, much global capital is actually denationalized
national capital. Strictly speaking, there is no legal persona for the
global firm. But there is a global space for their operations, a global
space that is the result of states denationalizing bits and pieces of
their national systems ? it took a lot of work by over a hundred states
to do this. The human rights regime offers another type of example.
When a judge or a plaintiff uses human rights in a national court for a
national court case, it partly, and in very specialized ways,
denationalizes a national law system.

By the way, this, again, points to the multivalence of many of the key
categories I have developed to do my type of research. The
denationalizing that happens through the demands of global firms is not
so good, whereas the denationalizing that happens through the use of
human rights in national courts is very interesting, and mostly
positive.

These are just two examples of how I work. It is, thus, quite different
from just focusing on the global per se. Focusing on the global firm or
the human rights regime as global entities is critical. But it needs to
be distinguished from the making of that possibility. I am interested
in the making. I think this approach also has consequences for
politics: we can perform global politics through national state
institutions ? and in so doing, will, of course, partly denationalize
our state, which is fine with me as it begins to build a multi-sited
infrastructure for global politics ? a global politics that runs
through localized sites rather than a world state.