Craig Bellamy on Sat, 23 Dec 2006 16:58:32 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> from new economy to YOU ECONOMY?

> The You Economy (dunno if the term has already been used before; it
> came up with it at a dinner w/ two xx supersubvertisers the other day)
> of the late 00s, hoping to repeat the booming 90s of the New Economy?

Hi Alex et.al,

I think that it is wrong to link the late 90s stock boom to contemporary
developments. That was then, this is now (and the link isn't as obvious
as you may think it is). There are some fantastic developments coming
out of the social media field and they all can't be critiqued by
historical turn-of-the-century reference points. Remember, there were a
whole lot of other things going on then which were unique to the time,
and unique to US and Europe.

Australia didn't really have a dot com boom, nor the subsequent
recession (for a whole bunch of reasons). Small countries have rudders;
we have to.

best,

Craig Bellamy