Brian Holmes on Fri, 29 Dec 2006 06:24:28 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Michael Malone : Regulating Destruction

Patrice Riemens wrote:

>" The result was Sarbanes-Oxley, Regulation FD ('Fair Disclosure', aka
>'Fear and Doubt' - PR), and stock option valuation (by the IRS -PR)- three
>great lessons in the law of unintended consequences. Let's do our own
>accounting: Thanks to this troika, fewer companies are going public; economic
>power is being concentrated in the hands of fewer companies; competition is
>reduced; new wealth is less widely distributed; the rich are getting richer;
>fewer talented people want to join entrepreneurial ventures; and corporate
>boards are getting stupider and more paranoid (- a reference to the recent HP
>bandobust -PR). And, please note, one of the crucial triggers for economic
>booms - a burts that of young tech companiy IPOs - has now largely evaporated.
>
>Just curious, but is this really what federal regulators, Congress and
>shareholder rights activists had in mind? "

The full article can be found here:
http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB116667005208856400-lMyQjAxMDE2NjI2MTYyNzEwWj.html

This is dodgy stuff, Patrice. Mainly just anti-regulatory fulminations,
at a pretty low level of interest as far as I can tell. First of all,
there are less IPOs because there is less silly money out there: the
same kinds of middle-class investors who made the dotcom bubble and then
lost their savings when it burst are now in the process of losing their
shirts in the bursting of the housing bubble. Second of all, after a
period of intense speculation and then a big shake out and collapse of
values, a period of corporate consolidation and attempts to re-establish
oligopoly positions is just about as ordinary as capitalism itself.
Felix's use of the word "cartel" heads in exactly this direction. But
it's also true that before the bubble, being bought out by a larger
company was simply the natural destiny of start-ups - and now we are
back to that part of the cycle. Elsewhere in the article, the author
laments the fact that all the IPO action is now happening in Hong Kong.
But the appearance of hot money in Asia right now is also quite
predictable, especially in China, whose fantastic industrial growth has
produced a veritable overflow of capital, an excess of the kind which is
actually dangerous for the stability of the banking sector. So why does
Michael Malone get so worked up? Answer: he's nostalgic for the
champagne days in Silicon Valley, and above all, he's just plain full of
shit and wants to sell a little of it to the WSJ. Or so it appears from
my perspective.

The question raised by Mark Stahlman, as to whether all this signifies a
turn away from financialization and the beginning of a new industrial
cycle of the kind described by Carlota Perez, is pretty uncertain imho.
Youtube is not exactly an industry. It's a device for capturing and
channeling the attention of people living on credit (as pretty much all
of the Americans do - average indebtedness is now up to something like
110% of earnings). The Triad countries - Europe, North America, Japan -
are all deeply mired in the process of managing financial capital, and
of those three ultrarich regions, only Japan has really managed to make
its financial capital materially productive. By investing that part of
it which does not feed the US appetite for credit into Chinese and South
East Asian industrial production.

best, Brian