nettime's_digest_ready_to_read on Mon, 8 Jan 2007 05:17:58 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Iraq: forward, march digest [Goldhaber, De Vries, Recktenwald]

     Michael H Goldhaber <mgoldh@well.com>
         Re: <nettime> Iraq: The Way Forward
     "Kimberly De Vries" <cuuixsilver@gmail.com>
         Iraq: the way forward
     Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@uni-bonn.de>
         Re: <nettime> Iraq: The Way Forward

From: Michael H Goldhaber <mgoldh@well.com>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Iraq: The Way Forward
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 16:35:25 -0800

Cynics don't bother to vote, because they assume their vote won't
change anything. Then other cynics point to the low turnout.

(Last spring I was canvassing in a Berkeley farmer's market [green
market] for a friend running for a minuscule local office; several
people told me proudly, "we don't vote;" then, the administrator of
the market =97held on a public street =97 officiously told me that
political campaigning there was against the market rules, because it
would "bother" the customers; I reminded her of free speech, and she
suddenly  remembered other business. This in radical Berkeley!)

The political pundits assured everyone that Republicans could not
lose control of the House or Senate because most districts had been
gerrymandered so carefully that  only one party could possibly win in

each. In fact, nearly an eighth of the Republican seats changed
hands. but we still have the war, which according to the Wall Street
Journal's poll, 70% of Americans want to pull out of. Considering
there is no draft, so only those who foolishly enlisted earlier in
the army are forced to fight, this widespread public opposition is
pretty amazing.

Of greater moment, the neo-cons who earnestly have supported our
bloated military are discredited, divided, and in many case on the
run. The turning point may not happen, but if it doesn't it will in
part be the fault of those who are just too cynical.

Best,
Michael