Michael H Goldhaber on Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:36:16 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Iraq: The Way Forward

Felix may well be right that cars lead to a reduction of communal
life, and  Venice (Italy)  seems to an outsider to be a wonderful
place. But:
a) I hope we don't wait until the US is rebuilt car-free to pull out
of Iraq;
b) Venice is in fact becoming de-populated, with its natives moving
to the car-unfree mainland;
c) it is a complete mistake to think that Americans' access to oil
depends on having troops in Iraq  ?or anywhere in the middle east for
that matter.

On this last point, when Iran threw out the Shah and held the
American embassy staff hostage, it continued to sell oil on the
world market, like any other OPEC country. American petroleum
companies and oil-field service companies such as Halliburton may
have lost profits, but that hardly affected the supply of oil in the
US. As it is, the invasion of Iraq has certainly not increased US oil
supplies or lowered prices, but in fact done the opposite. The war is
conceivably a war for oil-company profits (which have gone way up
since it started) but not a war for oil itself.

Best,
Michael