dr.woooo on Sat, 12 May 2007 10:45:36 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Fwd: [g8-int] international press group meeting

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: g8-press-int@nadir.org <g8-press-int@nadir.org>
Date: May 10, 2007 6:56 PM
Subject: [g8-int] international press group
To: g8-int@lists.riseup.net

Dear all,

It's only a few more weeks to go until the massive protetests against
the G8 summit will start in Heiligendamm. Certainly there are people
and collectives around that were thinking about doing press work for
their home country during the days of the summit (and perhaps even
before and afterwards). Press work has been done here in Germany for
over a year, and luckily there has been quite a good result so far.

In order to coordinate the international press work with a minimal
but functional structure, we would like to invite those of you that
might be around or closeby to an organizational meeting. It will be
in Berlin on Friday, the 18th at 18.00, in the Bethanien, S?dfl?gel
(Mariannenplatz 2)

Nobody obviously can represent all the groups being involved in the
protests, this is already decided upon and agreed upon for over a year
within Dissent! Germany. Still there might be many groups that want to
make reports about their actions and motivations. And still there is
a necessity to create channels to present our own viewppoints. What
we would like to offer then is a supportive structure for groups that
want to create international media attention.

In Germany there already exists such a group that works based on the
ideas of transparancy and participation. They have taken care for
media contacts and circulated press releases of different groups
organized within Dissent! or the Interventionist Left. They function
as contact for interview requests and also built up a pool of groups
and people that are interested in giving an interview. Occasionaly
they issued an own press release as press group "Campinski", but the
main focus has been on supporting groups with drafting and spreading
their own ones. Below of this message youi can find a self-description
of the Campinski press group and a link to the useful experiences of
the Counter Spin Collective, a media group active during the G8 summit
in Scotland.

The idea is to do international press work along similar lines and
cooperate with the Campinski group where possible. Since they will
issue a lot of press releases in German, a main focus will be to
translate those into English to offer resources of information for
internationals. The material can be used by others to make presswork
in whatever country. There will be a wiki website that will help us to
coordinate the translation of press releases.

Another task we would like to take on is to create a pool of people
willing to give interviews (print media, radio, television) in each
language. If you will be in Germany and you are willing to give
interviews in any other language than German, please write us and
leave your contact details: g8-press-int@nadir.org

Also, it would be great if people can send us lists with press
contacts from their countries so that we can start to build up a
comprehensive list for sending press releases from our email account!

If you are just interested in receiving our English press
releases, please contact us as well at the following email:
g8-press-int@nadir.org

It would be great to get at least some people from each country
involved in this project!

Everyone interested in doing international media work can come on
Friday, 18th of May at 1.00.

We can send out a report of the results of this meeting if you send a
request. So if you are not able to come, but you want to participate
later on, you will always be able to contact us.

--------

Some of the best ideas might also be taken from the CounterSpin
Collective from G8 2005:
http://www.shutthemdown.org/Resources/Ch%2031.pdf

Press work and G8: the Campinski Group

We are a press group from the dissent network, doing press work
against the G8 since one year now. We want to use the interest of the
mainstream media in the protest against G8 to bring radical left and
autonomous issues into the media. We don't want to leave this to the
police, they shouldn't be the ones who inform the media about the
protest in the streets around Rostock and Heiligendamm. We also don't
want to leave it to the big, hieriarchical organisations or parties,
to speak for us. So far we made good expierences with our work.

We see ourselves as contact and intermediary of the movement to the
media and the other way round. We are adressable for all groups, if
they want to communicate their activities to the media, now and in
the days of the summit and we send their press statements. On the
other hand we arrange contact between the press and the activists,
who know things about the special thematical issues like migration or
anti-militarism.

If the press wants to talk to and quote "spokespersons of the
movement", we always reply with the sentence, that we don't have such
represantants or "bosses". We only take responsibility for being in
contact with the journalists. We also respond to this problem by using
pseudonyms/ pen names. The names we use are Lotta Kemper and Carl
Kemper. The pen names reveal: We don't have spokespersons, everyone
can be Mr. or Ms. Kemper.

Contact: g8-presse@nadir.org or www.dissentnetwork.org

To subscribe/unsubscribe, change your address on the list etc. you can find
help at: http://help.riseup.net/lists/subscribers/

--
the ankle bone, connected to the thigh bone ;)

http://del.icio.us/dr.woooo

http://www.aut-op-sy.org
http://narconews.com
http://www.eco.utexas.edu/~archive/chiapas95/