Mason Dixon on Sat, 16 Jun 2007 01:01:43 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The Society of the Unspectacular

Lets start with fragmentation of audience. Lets consider it an
obvious mechanic operating in the current global theater.  What
then?  How are we to look at the "symbolic and real battle space"
without a tone of bitterness?  Has there not been a great failure
here?  I would hope we can reach the end of the second Bush
administration with at least a little dignity.

We must admit in all honesty, that we did not "turn the tide of the
war".  The global power structure has remained relatively unchanged
since before "virtual sit-ins" and "tactical media" were considered.
New Media has brought no new social empowerment, and political art
has had no significant global political effects.  We are not without
our successes, as artists and as activists, but on the global scale,
the human race did not shift much in the last 20 years on account of
our efforts.

So then, to speak of the spectacular, we must take an honest look at
the institutions that ARE effectively using persuasion within the
global theater.  Who are these actors?  How can we use what we know
of aesthetics to compete with them globally?  How can art enable real
social change?

Advertisements, for instance, must convince the audience,
specifically when the audience is NOT receptive.  They must lure,
seduce, manipulate, even coerce their audience into agreement.  They
create channels to deliver their messages on a mass scale and to
precise demographics.  They collude with non-media actors to create
(sometimes inaccurate) self-reinforcing hegemonies that maintain the
success of their strategies over years.  They respond to the audience
immediately, often becoming a sort of mirror to the demographics'
testing patterns.  They utilize falsehoods as easily as truths.  They
utilize exclusion as strategically as inclusion.  They are well-
research and field tested.

On the other hand, most works in political art and activist media are
rhetorical, satisfied to simply "raise awareness", not challenging
nor seductive, preachy or merely themed by the work's political
stance.  The best and most precise political art, eg. virtual sit-
ins, would work even more effectively as quick support and response
tactics, ie. as components of larger campaigns.

The most successful institutions on the global scale maintain their
relative positioning through a structure of control which
increasingly becomes informational, digitized and icon-ized.  These
structures  are write-able or manufacturable by informational
artisans, by those that make the most convincing of media. This is
already how these systems operate: in advertising, in public
relations, in business and politics, in war, and in "the matrix".
Maybe a good place to start for artists, would be to consider how art
works within demographics?  How does art "make life better" for each
of our many fragmented audiences?