Ana Peraica on Thu, 21 Jun 2007 01:19:15 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: [YASMIN-msg] War profiteers in art (Biennale di Venezia, 2007)

Dear Zev,

The discussion can go many directions, especially those of ethics of
reporting, I am forwarding to you some of them from the Nettime list:

http://www.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-l-0706/msg00022.html
http://nettime.freeflux.net/blog/archive/2007/06/13/re-nettime-war-profiteers-in-art-biennale-di-venezia-2007-4.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/nettime-l@bbs.thing.net/msg04218.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/nettime-l@bbs.thing.net/msg04225.html

There are plenty of reasons why to think about that imagery and various
perspectives which should be brought to publi discussion. Namely, the
possibility that the public is actually participating in a crime of war
is enormous (by indolence, by passivity, or even by perverse
consummation that co-produces war by media interest in war continuation
- as the third side) and that comes obvious when someone makes "art" out
of that.

I can be more radical for this particular media interest and say - some
TV stations are actually  producing SNUFF movies. Their reports are not
serving for the recognition of victims or helping victims but are
proliferating images of death for own  reason producing a Big Brother /
reality show of war as genre. That imagery does not serve to help
victims but is even more making them - objects of perverse consumption
(which is known symptom of all victims reports, for example a women
reports on the rape in police station asking for more and more of
details) no more satisfied with WW2 movies.

If you accept that difference, which actually exists in movie industry
for the same imagery as genre and rating in genre, not separating real
or not-real images you can ask yourself are we are sponsoring a crime?

best,

Ana

I can't comment about the specific works refered to as I havent seen
them, and I consider a lot, but certainly not all, of what the art world
shows frivolous, whether on the subject of war or not. Nor do I disagree
with what you say, Ana, it's just that it's more complex than that.

Viewing photographs and newsreels is certainly removed from seeing an
actual event, but at the same time press coverage played a large role in
ending the war in Vietnam, and subsequently there has been a concerted
effort to control and limit images of death and destruction (especially
of those of US soldiers in Iraq) in the press. So tho they may be a step
removed from actual reality, images have a powerful impact. How they
impact, and how we act and react as individuals, is again, extremely
complex. Sontag went to Sarejevo not to be a nurse and care for the
wounded, but to write, and to write for a relatively small audience at
that.

Art, the art world, and its relationship to culture in its wider sense
is complex. Certainly, some artists use topical issues as a means of
getting attention, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything about the
works themselves. War profiteers and others of dubious moral standing
have been patrons of the arts, and have been portrayed and glorified in
art, in what is considered great art.

There are press photographers waiting eagerly for the next war so that

they can get their adreline rush, get paid, have a career, but with the
result that an awareness of certain events is brought to the larger
world, albeit at a safe distance. Perhaps the reporting and images were
a factor in Sontag's visit to Sarajevo.

I recently saw the excellent and highly recommended documentary War
Photographer on James Natchwey, who has gone to the some of the worst
places in the world, confront humanity at its worst and ugliest, and
whether what you say, Ana, may or may not apply to him, or to yourself,
or to me, he goes to these places with uncompromising commitment,
whereas you and I go to Venice.

Best,

Zev

Zev Robinson