Wade Tillett on Sat, 10 Nov 2007 12:58:18 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Goodbye Classic ? The self I used to be

Let me. Capture. Authentic reality. Golden day. Super 8.
Magical-mystical-mechanical reproduction projection. Device. The
whirring gears filling the deafening silence with the warmth of the
lost re-covered. Oh the machines I have lost! And the film, the
original! The original reduplication of the original reality that was
me perfect innocent before sin.

It was converted to VHS. And what's worse, they added a soundtrack. No
more whirring gears, the hot smell of the lamp, the feeding through of
the film, the clicking, the focus, the moving of the projector, the
adjustment of the speed. Just press play. A moment of silence. We no
longer know how to chip flint to a sharp edge.

Sure a little sound was added, but other than that, a true
reproduction of the original reproduction of the original life! At the
photo development desk at the pharmacy, I can have my black and white
photo restored, with color added.

Real, only better.

Constant and necessary creation? That void is too bottomless. I
re-create the self I know so well. Yes, the one I know I used to be.
And I can be. Again. Immortal. Please.