Patrice Riemens on Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:08:24 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> review: Steal this Film, II - the money (-transfer) part.

Once again, I am afraid that we have a case of "it's not a bug, it's a
feature' here . In the 'laundering-obsessed post 9/11 world' and that
of its ulterior motives (it's not laundering they're obsessed about,
it's loss of business and market information) there is truly place
for two firms only when it comes to 'end-lusers': PayPal for Internet
transactions and Western Union for cash transfers. The rest is deemed
illegitimate and will be criminalised. I am really not optimistic
about the future of P2P payment systems. There are already laws in
place which need hardly any tweaking to snuff them - and especially
their initiators - out of existence.