Brian Holmes on Thu, 27 Mar 2008 21:29:02 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Brits in hock--or, Atlas shrugged again

On Thursday 27 March 2008 11:06:39 Felix Stalder wrote:

> Apparently, it's not just because China is, overall, still a poor
> country that there are so few consumers, but a result of government
> policy, at least according to a great article which appeared in the
> Atlantic Monthly earlier this year. Below is a quote, but the whole
> article is worth reading.
>
> http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200801/fallows-chinese-dollars/

Thanks for prolonging the conversation, Felix. I'm now gonna rephrase my
tongue-in-cheek argument about the Brits, with the greater respect due
to more distant neighbors: the Asians, and particularly, the Chinese.

For the the last thirty years -- and even more intensely, for the last
ten -- the enigma of global economics has been this: Why do the Asians
pay, through financial flows, for the English-speaking countries to
consume the very things that are produced in Asia? Why do they pay for
the right to work for low pay? And the same question can be put in even
more general terms: Why, throughout a decade-long financial boom, has
the underlying economic picture been one of falling prices, i.e.
deflation?

The general form of the answer has been twofold. First, only the
increasingly debt-financed markets of the Anglo-Saxon countries have
been able to absorb the vast outflow of goods created by the
combination of the world's most modern technology and the world's
cheapest labor -- especially since East Asian internal markets
collapsed in the wake of the 1997-98 financial crisis. So it has been
in the direct interest of the producers to sustain those markets,
especially the American one, through the purchase of Treasury Bonds in
particular. And second, concerning the US dollar in which payment for
exports is tpically made, the very size of the East Asian stake has
long been so great that if any of the countries were to pull out of the
dollar (and I mean even Korea, let alone Japan or China) the US
currency would begin to fall precipitously, and in the course of a few
days the resulting run on the dollar would obliterate the value of all
dollar-denominated holdings, ushering in a period of economic chaos
with unpredictable consequences. So everyone prefers to stay in! And
that includes the Gulf states with their petrodollars, by the way. The
result has been what some call "Bretton Woods II": a new international
agreement to maintain the hegemony of the US currency after the
collapse of the postwar deal in 1971-73, but this time, according to
the kind of tacit, informal terms that are typical of such arrangments
in East Asia. The New Left Review has a quite good article on all this,
focusing on the biggest lender to the US, namely Japan. Check it out,
they are serendipitously offering this one for free:

http://www.newleftreview.org/?view=2625

However, the specific case of China is so important and so unique that
it can't just be subsumed under the regional equation. The situation
that now exists in China is, to my mind, an awesome and tragic outcome
of the general case of raw insanity called integrated world capitalism.
This is what I tried to describe in my text, "One World One Dream."

http://brianholmes.wordpress.com/2008/01/08/one-world-one-dream

China has been partially modernized over the last thirty years through a
tremendous influx of direct foreign investment. For this to occur,
however, the country had to continually demonstrate one thing: that its
rock-bottom labor costs could consistently produce the highest possible
return on investment, in the concrete form of the most cheaply
manufactured goods on earth, which could be resold abroad at great
profit. For development to continue, what had to be maintained was the
China Price, i.e. the lowest price on the planet for any category of
basic manufactured goods. This in turn meant that the wealth generated
by China's modernization could not be evenly divided: for if it was,
how could labor remain so cheap? What has resulted, and what I tried to
describe in my text, is the maintenance of the rural/urban divide,
whose legal expression remains to this day the hukou household
registration system: an outmoded imperial system of territorial
governance, which helps to maintain the subordinated status of the
country dwellers even when they come to do the dirty work of the
industrial cities.

China's impoverished migrant laborers have been the motive force, not
only of the country's explosive growth, but also of the progressive
deflation of prices for manufactured goods over the past decade, since
1997-89 when the Asian Crisis broke the backs of the regional economies
and forced them to engage in a downward spiral of competitive price
wars. At this time they moved even more completely into an
export-oriented system that has effectively exported the deflation of
their economies to the Western consumer "paradises," where jobs and
entire industries disappeared beneath the onslaught of cheap imports,
while the only thing that grew -- as we're realizing today -- were the
inflated values of stocks till 2001, and thereafter, the structured
finance of home-equity debt, which seems to have been the final refuge
of the so-called "wealth effect," the consumer manna from financial
heaven. So these two things, deflated goods and inflated finance, were
the extremely dubious foundations on which China's development
burgeoned.

One of the tragic aspects of this whole process is that China has been
modernized to produce shlock: i.e. vast quantities of throwaway goods
at bargain-basement prices which depend on the most humanly and
ecologically destructive manufacturing processes imaginable. And though
the factories are often light, almost throwaway affairs themselves, the
heavy infrastructures of these production processes are fixed into the
landscape for generations, through capital investment in things like
innumerable scrubberless coal-fired power plants or the immense Three
Gorges hydroelectric dam. In short, China's modernization has been
configured to a huge degree, both by artificially stimulated Western
appetites for largely useless consumer "goods," and by the capitalist
rules under which those commodities can undercut the prices of other
Asian producers, such as Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia and India. China
today is largely the result of those fickle appetites and those
iron-clad rules.

All of this matters tremendously, when the question of inflation and its
dangers for China comes on the table. And this, by the way, is exactly
what I was not able to write into my text One World One Dream, it's the
reason for the fairly obvious hole at the end, because I have only
understood the full dimensions of the enigma through the mental
acceleration brought by a crisis -- namely, the one that's happening
right before our eyes. So let's finally get to the nitty-gritty.

James Fallows was entirely right when he said that Chinese officials are
worried about the inflation that could result from a reinvestment of
export earnings back into the national economy. But are they really
only worried about hungry people stampeding in super markets whenever
cheap cooking oil is offered for sale? That is, are they worried about
the prices of consumer goods on their internal markets? Or rather, are
they not worried about what inflation would do to the China Price, and
with it, the country's ability to continue expanding economically --
and, by that same token, the country's ability to employ the migrants
streaming into the cities from the countryside?

Felix, if you look again I guess you will see from the argumentative
weakness of precisely the paragraph you quoted that Fallows, too, was
unable to think the full equation to end. The point is, inflation is
not just the price of goods. It is above all the price of salaries. Low
salaries are the key to the China Price. And salaries just around the
corner, in Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia, are very very low indeed,
almost as low as in China. Not to mention labor prices in India, again
dramatically low. At the slightest inflation, China's privileged
position in the world market could decay -- too soon, too soon, cry the
government officials! Their idea has been to extend the export-driven
boom to the entire country of 1.3 trillion people. But the irony is
that the very motor of economic expansion makes equal participation in
its fruits impossible. Not only must someone get rich first, as Deng so
famously said -- but the newly rich must keep somebody poor, or another
pyramid crumbles. Deflated prices are both the key to prosperity and
the lock on the gate between the city and the countryside. They are the
new name of the gaping class divide that marks the global division of
labor.

No don't get me wrong at this point: If there is one thing China's
leaders truly want, it is development for the people. Not least because
this is their only hope to hang onto power. For an unemployment crisis
in socially volatile China could all-too easily lead -- in the
calculations of the Communist Party -- to an explosive situation. Some
800 million people are inceasingly aware that they are not part of
their country's rise to economic power on the world stage. The
countryside looks with envy and anger on the glittering dream of the
coastal cities. Eventually, the government thinks, China must consume
what it produces, eventually, its 1.3 trillion people must become its
own largest market, prosperity must be shared and harmony must be
achieved. But when? When? When?

So far, the very mode of China's development has pushed the answer into
an uncertain future. That future holds the key to the awesome and yet
potentially tragic destiny of a country that has followed the
development path of integrated world capitalism. And the amazing thing
is, that future could literally come tomorrow. Because today, not only
are the pyramid-schemes of debt-financed consumption collapsing --
leading inevitably to a sharp reduction in the export-markets on which
all of Asia and particualarly China depends -- but also, we have never
been so close to a run on the dollar. The rules of the game could
change tomorrow. This is what I mean when I say, Atlas shrugged again.
In the context of the current crisis, it is as though the Western
consumer populations, replete with all the supposed artistic,
scientific and financial genius that Ayn Rand famously ascribed to
them, had involuntarily "gone on strike," not against the bureaucratic,
talent-squandering communism that Rand decried, but against the very
capitalism that propped up their illusions and then suddenly pulled out
the rug beneath their feet. Finance, the ultimate "creative industry,"
is about to let the burden of consumption slip from Western
shoulders -- and in consequence, it seems as though the global economy
might really go adrift.

If this seemingly imminent collapse of the Western consumer markets does
finally lead to a run on the dollar, the results could be chaos, that's
for sure. Everyone capable of imagining these things looks into the
crystal ball with fear and trembling. But could this reversal of
fortunes not also be a moment of tremendous opportunity? Could this not
be the time for the Asian societies to begin developing _for
themselves_, and no longer in the image of the Western consumer dream?
What if Arrighi and his colleagues were ultimately right: Could this be
the moment of the long-awaited shift of hegemony to East Asia? And if
so, could this transformation of integrated world capitalism as we know
it not finally be the time to reconsider the contemporary mode of
development? Isn't a deep, long-running crisis the only chance we have
to awaken from the one-world dream and put an ecologically sustainable
mode of development on the economic agenda? Isn't this the turning
point, the possible bifurcation that so many people have been waiting
for?

These are the things I wonder, with an excess of passion and still a
minimum of hope, on Thursday March 21, 2008, at 6 pm in the tranquil
afternoon.

best, Brian

> http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200801/fallows-chinese-dollars/
>
> And the government doesn't want to increase domestic spending
> dramatically, because it fears that improving average living
> conditions could paradoxically intensify the rich-poor tensions that
> are China's major social problem. The country is already covered with
> bulldozers, wrecking balls, and construction cranes, all to keep the
> manufacturing machine steaming ahead. Trying to build anything more
> at the moment--sewage-treatment plants, for a start, which would mean
> a better life for its own people, or smokestack scrubbers and related
> 'clean' technology, which would start to address the world pollution
> for which China is increasingly held responsible--would likely just
> drive prices up, intensifying inflation and thus reducing the already
> minimal purchasing power of most workers. Food prices have been
> rising so fast that they have led to riots. In November, a large
> Carrefour grocery in Chongqing offered a limited-time sale of
> vegetable oil, at 20 percent (11 RMB, or $1.48) off the normal price
> per bottle. Three people were killed and 31 injured in a stampede
> toward the shelves.
 <...>